float adjustment

cmattina1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
In reading my manual I see that my float should be 24mm +/- 1mm. I get that, and i get how to measure it, however, I am curious about bending the toungue. If i understand correctly, I push the float to the top (bottom of carb body), and see where the tounge is.
Am I correct in believing that the tounge needs to be parallel with the bottom of the carb body? As in: if I push the float up to the top and the tounge is still not parallel with the carb body i need to push it in (up) until itis or until the pin is seated correctly? OR if I push the float up and the tounge gets parallel or seats the pin in BEFORE the carb is all the way to the top, i need to push the tounge out a little bit?

The angle of the tongue or "tang" doesn't matter. You bend it to wherever it needs to be to give you the proper float height. Usually, they end up not quite parallel with the body, bent down slightly towards the float needle.

What 5twins said.
I'll add don't push on the pin....period.
The floats are measured with it resting on the pin no pressure applied.
I "adjust" the tang with a small flat bladed screwdriver between the flat of the bracket and the tang.

Back