float clearance

rezsst

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i noticed on my floats that they are rubing on the side of the carb with plastic floats where the old brass has plenty of clearance. rubs by the pilot jet housing where the metal plug is for machining

Last edited:
Where did you buy them? It's somewhat common knowledge that the ones from Mikes can be of very poor quality. I have nothing against smoking pot ..... occasionally ...... on the weekend maybe .... but lets just not let that fuck up another 650 here dude. There's enough guys out there with Sawzalls doing that. Fix the bike, then light the pipe.

OK now that you mentioned it. Lets talk about pot. Colorado's new economy. Lets go green ha.its big business. There's companies looking to invest. The newist get rich. One plant it worth $1000 and has much has $9000. Pueblo made $2mil in one month in taxes.. I don't think it will be going away.

I don't smoke when I work on my bike or when I ride. Smoking pot and driving will get you a dui. First offence is jail time.

I messed with that Carb so many time trying to figure it out.the only reason I did this time is because gas was running out. They came with brass floats for a reason.

There eBay floats with sleeves. The hole the pin goes thru isn't wide enough. To much side to side play. All the floats I could find are general used in many applications. And there is no mention of this in any sticky.

I have two xs's and I'm going to sawsal the shit out of one. Jerk

Last edited:
OK now that you mentioned it. Lets talk about pot. Colorado's new economy. Lets go green ha.its big business. There's companies looking to invest. The newist get rich. One plant it worth $1000 and has much has $9000. Pueblo made $2mil in one month in taxes.. I don't think it will be going away.

I don't smoke when I work on my bike or when I ride. Smoking pot and driving will get you a dui. First offence is jail time.

I messed with that Carb so many time trying to figure it out.the only reason I did this time is because gas was running out. They came with brass floats for a reason.

Yeah, you've done a helluva job of research. I guess it isn't mentioned in any sticky either, but the OEM brass float is still available from Yamaha. Shop around, vendors' price tags vary a lot on this one.

Just got a free xs750 triple seized. It has bs34's with brass floats in good shape if I need them. The plastic one should be fine I just bent them a little wider and out at the bottom.

Thanks for your good response

Dip test brass floats before installing. Cup of steaming hot water dip float all the way under for a few seconds, bubbles = fail. I find less than half of brass floats in carbs I open are useable. The foam floats? have never seen a bad one. wish I could find foam floats for BS38s.....

From the previous posts it seems the pipe has been in use? Those days are long past for me. Too many I know didn't do well using pot. I find myself plenty confused anyways. Seriously at 60 the noggin ain't what it used to be.

It sucks when its something small and you can't figure it out.I'd much rather have complete failure. It's drive me crazy I can't let it go.

Looks like a good day for a ride.

On my stocker

Thanks Wisconsin. I'll do the water test. I think the plastic one will be fine. If need be I'll mod them or maybe a couple washers.

Would like to help you with your floats. I have some tig welding skills. Couldn't you modify some floats to fit your needs? By cutting the stainless steel brackets and rewelding them.

Waukesha. Go packers

I have the tour max plastics in my 1980 34's. never stuck. The brass I had was eaten alive by the green fuzzies. one still floated, but felt wisper thin below the fuel line.
Tourmax's are sleaved. I had heard the cheap ones aren't sleaved, and the barrel the pin goes thru isn't round, and gets hung up, letting the fuel to keep pouring in. I don't know what brand mikes has, Was told 'run away!! runaway!!' If they are tourmax's, maybe I just got lucky twice.
As far as welding the holes in floats, good luck. I can tig, and have done some seriously thin stuff, but brass soaked in gass for who knows how long would prolly pop on you. I did try to solder a hole once, ....once. POP!!
Pot? well, I find if you need it for medicinal purposes, chronic back, nausea, seizure, its good there, and doesn't do much for getting me high, but if someone where to smoke for the sake of the high, that's just what it will do.
Time, place, moderation.
Im not saying its a miracle drug, like Uncle Alfies snake oil, But by gum, the research sure proves to have a lot of good uses.
Name a good use for alcohol? Other than whiskey and biting on a bullet while sewing your own wounds shut.
Tasty though :)

just because EVERY BS34 needs em, did you put in the float valve body O-rings? the old ones let fuel bypass the valve no amount of "float fix'n" will cure a crusty hard old o-ring.

I thought if you cut the stainless steel on the plastic floats you could add some or remove some has needed. I can weld it.

New o-rings.

Back