Wanted - Floats needed. (Found, Thanks)

I am needing bs38 brass floats if anyone has them let me know.I am in Tennessee.PM me if you have them.

I have a spare pair of Bs38s of my running xs but they are jetted for straight through pipes and bell mouth fillters...i still have them as well and chrome baskets for the inlet rubbers..only prob im in uk!!

SAM_1178-1.jpg

SAM_1171-1.jpg

I have a set of the BS38's that I took off my bike. The throttle shafts are worn out but I think the floats are good. Would make you a deal on the whole setup (carbs, linkage, mounts and pod filters) if you are interested. Oh ya, forgot to mention that I replaced the diagrams also. :thumbsup:

Edit: The carburetors came off of a 1978 XS650 Special

How much do you want for the carbs together.And the floats without the carbs.I am on a really tight buget and if I can afford both carbs I will but if not then I will just need the floats.

Tell you what. PM me your address and I will ship them to you. If they work out for you make a donation to this site. If they don't work for you, you are out nothing. How does that sound? :D

Another thing you might do is test the diaphragms in your old carburetors. If they are bad you could pull the diaphragms and slides out of the carburetors I sent you and install them in your old carburetors to see if they work better.

The diaphrams in my old carbs held fairly well but the carbs had been abused aweful before I got the bike(what happens when you pay 50 bucks)and I could never get them to idle or run right so I just used the ones you sent me,did a quick sync by exhaust,and added a weak spring to make it return to a fully closed idle position quicker,and presto,the bike runs great.Just got the autolite plugs for it and some inline fuses.It isin't looking to bad anymore for 50 bucks.The main problem I am having is with the fuses.Also,is it normal for the battery to run kinda low when just idling the bike for long periods.When I just have it running and don't mess with the throttle for a half hour at a time a couple of times it goes pretty low but it does not affect the throttle or power performance at all.Just will not start on electric start until I ride it around for about 30 minutes.

Your alternator might be getting weak. You can check the brushes if you pull the left cover off the engine, the one that says Yamaha on it.

Ok.Are The brushes replaceable,How should I adjust the carbs to suit the new pod filters and cut off exhaust with no baffles.The mixture screw is the brass one on the outside of the carb with a cloth type washer,right?The left cylinder is popping and the right seems to be getting A little bit too much fuel.Just adjust the left out a little and the right in some.Am I correct or close?

I also want to know how to set the points on this bike.It has the stock dual points and two high spots on the cam.Set at the highest spot on the cam or something?And I think the timing is spot on.

Ok.Are The brushes replaceable,How should I adjust the carbs to suit the new pod filters and cut off exhaust with no baffles.The mixture screw is the brass one on the outside of the carb with a cloth type washer,right?The left cylinder is popping and the right seems to be getting A little bit too much fuel.Just adjust the left out a little and the right in some.Am I correct or close?

The brushes are replaceable. I raised the needles 1 notch on the carburetors. You might play with the needles some. The left carburetor has excessive play in the body. If you reach down and move the throttle shaft on the left carburetor while the engine is running you will notice you can make the left cylinder pop from a vacuum leak. The mixture screw is a steel small headed screw on the outside of the carburetors. They set back in a inset, kind of hard to see. The big screw is a vacuum port. You probably won't be able to adjust the left carburetor mix screw because of the vacuum leak. :banghead:

On the points I would suggest getting a manual so you can read the process for setting the points and timing. I went the easy route and installed a Pamco ignition. Makes life much easier. :)

I have the knuckebusters supplementary manual for the xs650 special,but It doesn't incude the point setting procedure,just the gap it should have.Will it hurt the bike to have the pop on the left cylinder.It still rides good.

It is annoying, there is a chance that you could be lean enough on that cylinder that you could cause damage to the piston or valves. Could you check your other carburetor bodies to see if the carburetor bodies are in better condition as far as where the throttle shafts go through. If the left one on your old carburetor is tight you could use that body with the components from the ones I sent you. Maybe that way you could piece together a set that would work for you. :)

Back