Flying to the Pacific Northwest in a Cessna 172

pa23driver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
this sunday i'll be flying a Cessna 172 out to the pacific northwest. no where in particular, its the only part of the contiguous U.S. i haven't been to yet, so just wanna look around. round trip should take about 10 days. the plan is to head towards Dallas, TX, cross the rockies where they're not so high, visit a friend in San Diego, then follow the coast north, hitting up Yosemite National Park on the way. then do the same thing on the way home. i'd fly north on the way home but Montanna has some ridiculously high mountains to cross in a 172. even a light twin is a challenge - few years ago i had single engine failure in the mountains of montanna, been cautious of mountains ever since.

so... all you Pacific northwesterners out there, what should i make it a point to see while in the area? anyone else feel free to chime in on stuff to see along the way as well

A lot of Seattle small plane pilots fly into the San Juan Islands. Must be an outstanding destination.

i just finished reading Charles Kingsford Smith and those magnificent men by Peter Fitzsimons. Man what a fantastic read, not only does it tell a great tale of one of the greatest pioneers in aviation. Also fantastic reading about many other pioneers from the wright bros to the red barron. The early days of Lawrance Hargreave to the founding of QANTAS. Sorry to turn your thread into a book review, just thought it worth mentioning. Have a great flight, cheers
"What we early designers did, we did under the stress of necessity, that ancient mother of invention. We were not university trained. Rule of thumb inventors taught in the school of experience, we used our necks as measuring sticks of success." Anthony Fokker
"An aviators life may be full of ups and downs, but the only thing hard about flying is the ground" Charles Kingsford SmithPosted via Mobile

Last edited:
Back