FNG Building First XS

Renegade600

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop an introduction to the forum.

I'm new to the site, and am new to building an XS....I've just started on a XS hardtail bobber project. Been thinking of doing one of these for about (3) years now, and finally found a donor bike which was the remains of a '82 Heritage. The hardtail is now installed, and everything looks like it came out OK. The engine seems solid, and the bike had about 12K on the clock....this has a TC Bros hardtail. I am partial to a shorter stretch.

I will probsably be needing to pick all your brains for some of the details for the brakes, the engine, ignition, etc. I'm not really sure on the final direction of the bike, but low budget will be a priority...

I'm not new to bikes, have had various dirtbikes and Harley's over the years, but this is my first XS650.

I've been building mostly vintage sleds and cars. Just finishing up a '69 Mustang coupe which has me drained from working on it...not a restoration, but a street fighter build that I painted matte black for the murdered out look. I also have a '38 chevy pickup I'm slowly building a gasser out of....right now I'm just burned out on cars, and excited to really get going on this bike.

Anyway, that's the scoop on me.....my bike right is as it looks below. Winter is on it's way here in WI, so I will probably be nuts deep in this thing in a couple of months... :)
Tom
DSCN1491.jpg

Last edited:
well shit..your a late poster, from the midwest and have what appears to be a great start for a sweet ride! your A ok in my book! welcome!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome....Ya, I'm usually on late as I don't seem to sleep much, and the kid usually has the computor tied up...that's OK, I usually can be found in my shop out back hacking on something....

I have a pretty good start. But I'm missing alot of parts from the bike, and supposadly the motor runs, though I never heard it, but it does have great compression and seems solid...we will see...

Thanks guys...I'm from Mosinee, just south of Wausau...are there many WI guys on here? I don't see too many XS builds around my area.

Stone, a pic of the 'stang is below...car was a total rust bucket but had only 57,000 miles and the original toploader 4 speed and engine were in the car....I can't even begin on how much chinese sheet metal I had to weld in this thing...LOL

40127_1673288076264_1359296824_2811811_1575206_n.jpg

Love that stang!! Did I talk to you earlier this year? You snagged an XS obscenely cheap from Craigslist and beat ME to it?

Nope, not me....wish it was....I did buy the bike for a decent price....it had been sitting in a garage alongside the Mustang...told my friend if he ever wanted to sell the Yamaha also to let me know...and he did...

I've not had real good luck finding deals on Craigslist, but I seem to find alot of crap by word of mouth.......then I buy, and my wife just shakes her head....LOL

Back