Fork covers that hold on blinkers and headlight

securetech22

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone quick question....do the fork covers that hold the blinkers and headlight on do anything besides that? Are they a spacer in any way? I want to take them off along with the front blinkers and put a steel bracket in its place to hold the headlight but I need to attach the clip ons straight to the forks. I was just going to rip off the brackets that held the blinkers but the cover slides back and forth so it has to go. Don't want my clippings turning every which way haha. So can they go or are they holding the lower triple tree in place? Any and all help appreciated! Thank guys!

While we're on this subject, it seems strange to me that the "ears" on the fork covers are not designed to be parallel with the mounting points in OEM headlight buckets where they attach - they meet at a shallow angle that tends to pull the turn signals rearward when tightening them up - at least on my '82 Special. Doesn't seem like it would have taken any more effort to design them to avoid this issue.

Yours may be bent slightly. If you have the headlight off ever, stick a length of all-thread through the headlight mounting holes and double nut it with large washers at each ear (one nut/washer outside, one inside). Measure your headlight width and set the inner nuts/washers that far apart. Tighten the outers. This will "square" the ears up for you so your signals mount straight.

they meet at a shallow angle that tends to pull the turn signals rearward

My '81 has was looks from the top like a rubber wedge that takes up that space and makes the ears 90 degrees. Your wedges might be missing. Or they might be homemade.

I took mine and put the part that attaches to the turn signal in a vice, padded, just to where the angle begins and gave them a tweak. Squared up now. My thoughts are that if these bikes are ever dropped the signal takes a hit along with the ears.

Thanx much for the quick replies - the all-thread idea should work out well; only problem is I just had all my tin painted, including the fork covers (originally 1982 Heritage Special "black chrome"). Wished I'd asked this question sooner - oh well, too soon old and too late smart. Couple pic's of my work in progress - need to get the nose of the seat (Mike's cafe/sport) shortened a couple of inches to fit with the XS750 tank and then some of that TechUSA snakeskin material to make knee pads for the tank.
:bike:

Attachments

• 30May12_1.JPG
    30May12_1.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 30May12_2.JPG
    30May12_2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 153
You were right - both my ears were bent. I would up pulling the forks off, removing the fork covers, and finessing each one, using nj1639's "clamp 'em in a vise" method - had to pull the forks to remove and shorten my gaiters, anyhow. Re-assembled everything and they squared right up to the headlight bucket mounting points. Eventually want aluminum bullets mounted to the lower fork clamp points with Motolanna brackets - that will match my rear signals, but for now, I'm good to go. Thanks again for your input - this forum rocks!

Back