Fork damper rod tool for 15mm rods?

blackbetty

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So I have the 34mm forks on my '75 with the 15mm damper rods:

5633362632_6e35f02860.jpg

I used Hugh's method of working an impact to break the rods loose. One came out easy, the other, I had to make a tool. A 12 pt. 3/4 in socket fits around the larger portion of the rod perfectly, but unfortunately the socket diameter is greater than the fork tube ID, so to pull these you'll have to use the smaller tip at the top of the rod with the 2 flats in order to hold it steady.

So I took a socket and ground on it until I had a few flats. The tool worked sufficiently enough the get the other damper rod bolt out and separate the lower, but I think it's going to be a real bitch getting these back together again with my shanty tool.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions as to an alternative besides my halfassed socket?

The Haynes manual "tool" is a length of pipe with one end squeezed oval so it fits over the flats.

I dont think there is much of an option other than what you have described. I cut down a 10mm and then followed Hughs instructions for the rest, i hope to re-assemble with his spacers tomm, so well see how the hacked up socket works.

Back