Fork legs with metal blank?? Help

Paulrxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

Took my forks off to rebuild and shorten springs. However, when I get to the top of the forks there is, what appears to be a metal plug where the top bolt should be. It looks like its been there from the factory. Has anyone come across these types of forks? If so, how does the spring come out?

All help appreciated

Paul

Got any pics? There are other Yamaha models that use forks with a top plug retained by a snap ring. Maybe your forks have been swapped. If that is the case, you need to depress the plug slightly, pry the snap ring out, then the plug will come out.

Hi

Just been out to the shed and you are right they are sprung and do compress with a clip barely visible. I'll drop the forks out and loose the pressure to depress these. Only need to drop a couple of inches off the springs

Paul

It will probably be easier to depress them while they're still in the trees. Just get the front wheel off the ground so there's as little spring pressure as possible on them. Once the clips are out, the springs will push the caps out so hold some pressure on them and release it slowly so they don't go flying.

Back