Forking by Frank, blocking off air and running oil only

mkesbest

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have a 66 shovelhead (don't worry I still have a xs650 im working on) but I have a jap front on the shovel. Forking by frank tubes. The pic shows what looks like a little air valve or there was maybe a valve at some point? The front end takes a pretty heavy dive when I use the front brakes. Can I drill out, tap, and put a set screw in there and only run oil? Any thoughts? I plan to call them today to see if they need to run air, if that's what that is for. Anyone have any experience/thoughts etc?

Thanks for taking the non xs related question... if I can figure out how to get them safely back up and running they probably will end up on the yammy at some point, same size tubes...

Attachments

• Fork Cap.JPG
    Fork Cap.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 97
So I have a 66 shovelhead (don't worry I still have a xs650 im working on) but I have a jap front on the shovel. Forking by frank tubes. The pic shows what looks like a little air valve or there was maybe a valve at some point? The front end takes a pretty heavy dive when I use the front brakes. Can I drill out, tap, and put a set screw in there and only run oil? Any thoughts? I plan to call them today to see if they need to run air, if that's what that is for. Anyone have any experience/thoughts etc?

Thanks for taking the non xs related question... if I can figure out how to get them safely back up and running they probably will end up on the yammy at some point, same size tubes...

any idea what the front end is off of? the yam XS11's used air assisted front forks (btw the valves are called Schrader valves) yes you can block that off if you want, you'll need to run a heavier oil in the tubes to make up for the soft spring dampening or replace those springs with a heavier set of springs to stop the dive, Franks should be able to help you there

I have some pix could send tomm. Honestly don't know what it's off of. I'll google the xs11 maybe can tell. It's a solid front end but a Frankenstein bike

Back