Forks

Miker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am rebuilding a 1977 xs650d (basket case)and have stripped the forks. Looks like they had been previously rebuilt as there was no oil in them (Dry inside) and although the oil seal was installed there was no spring clip and washer to hold it in place . When I measured things up it has had a 70mm spacer on top of the spring, and the spring has been cut to 420mm. I am assuming it is a way to lower the forks. By my measurements the standard spring plus spacer measures 524mm and my forks are 490mm. My question is. Is this a useable combination or has it been stuffed up?

Attachments

• fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 15
Yes, I was surprised how cheap new fork springs are when I looked. Not worth trying to do anything else really.
Actually, getting new springs is a great opportunity for getting a more suitable spring rate, for example from Racetech. And it is in fact worth spending a couple hundred bucks on emulators while you are at it.......

Actually, getting new springs is a great opportunity for getting a more suitable spring rate, for example from Racetech. And it is in fact worth spending a couple hundred bucks on emulators while you are at it.......
My go to for that would be Traxxion Dynamics. I had a better experience with them than I did with RaceTech. I think at a better price as well.

Back