1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 Fans?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rhy650, Apr 4, 2021.

1. kiwi

kiwi XS650 Enthusiast

BC 604
    Never enough. Interesting read, never thought of electrically spinning up the turbo, genius. F1 seems to go through phases of domination by one team or some times two, like we have seen in recent years. That is part of the sport, all sport come to think of it. One driver in the dominant car wins everything, the rest are just there to contest the remaining places, hope to finish second or third. As a driver Hamilton is fantastic, likes to whine and complain a lot, and needs constant feed back from the pit wall. But he is a strange young man out of the car. Verstappen on the other hand, I like this guy, just do it attitude. Doesn't seem to need his ego massaged as much, and a great driver, future champ, maybe. I'm looking forward to more close battles between the two, and with luck we will have both championships decided at the last race. I do like the new young drivers coming up, Lando, George, Carlos and Leclerc are very talented and the future of F1 is in good hands with them on the track. The top brass just needs to let them race. The three guys on the Land Rover I posted above were Moss, Brabham and Bruce McLaren.

2. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Failed Hedonist.

I've sort of had enough, yes. There is no longer any possibility for a supremely talented driver to grab a car by the scruff of the neck and make it outperform, like Senna did with the Toleman, or Villeneuve did with the Ferrari. That's why someone like Hamilton will always have a bit of a cloud over him, 7 championships notwithstanding. Was it him, or the car? Russel was threatening to break his duck with a win in the Merc before his pit stop got Irvine-ed. Not bad for a guy thrown into a car that he didn't even fit in with next to no warning.

I also see no need for F1 to have any engineering relevance to road cars. Electric cars will have to face grim reality soon enough, barring some monumental breakthroughs. The grid can barely keep up with air conditioning demand, much less cities full of li-ion powered automobiles gobbling up every spare electron. We already have to shut down at work when the temperature rises so the grid in Ontario does not get overtaxed.

Spec tires, spec fuel. Normally aspirated screamers with very little else in terms of tech. Heck, bring back the gearshift. If they want to be more environmentally responsible, maybe restrict the number of GPs and keep them in Europe instead of jet setting entire teams around the globe in 747s.

3. Scripto VU

Scripto VU Dukes Speed and Custom

usa.
    F1 is certainly one the poster children for the old adage; "Speed cost money how fast do you want to go ?"

Big teams, big budgets, little teams little budgets. ( When I worked for Mercedes their F1 budget was whispered to be approximately $400 million / year almost 10 years ago )

To a lesser extent, driving talent also follows the same adage. (George Russel Mercedes junior driver personally picked by Toto Wolf years ago......not a real surprise that he replaces Bottas.)

Go Mercedes !

4. Rhy650

Rhy650 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hey All. I wanted to check in with everyone and get your thoughts on this awesome F1 season! I am enjoying every minute of it. I was not around for some of the epic rivalries of the past, but I feel like Hamilton and Verstappen are entering that territory. The top two aside, the battle between Ferrari and McLaren is providing some really good midfield action. Looks like we got our wish with Russell and Mercedes... I feel that Gasly's excellent performance is also worth mentioning.

And then there is the 2022 car...
    [​IMG]
    What do you think about it? Here is a quick read about it without having to suffer through the vomit-inducing PR of F1/FIA promotional videos. I can't wait to see it in action. The front and rear wings are radically different, but I absolutely hate the aesthetics of the larger wheels.

Paul Sutton likes this.
  5. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider & fettler XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hi Rhy, I fully agree this is a classic season. Two real racers both on their game and still all to play for. Plus plenty of action all through the field. Including Maclaren v Ferrari. I'll take a look at the link to next year's cars. Cheers, Raymond

Paul Sutton and Rhy650 like this.