Forum Format

bkmarsha

Brad
Reaction score
i liked how the 650rider website had quite a few categories, maybe something similar could be used in the garage section to make looking for topic specific information easier

- have a look in the search function...and use the tag system that is in the process of being organised...look at the bottom of each thread-there is a tag editing function that enables both posters and thread creators to attribute relevant tags to each thread...this is intended to create tag clouds which once you get used to them are very clever ways of negotiating through large ammounts of properly tagged data

i liked how the 650rider website had quite a few categories, maybe something similar could be used in the garage section to make looking for topic specific information easier

Check this out... http://www.xs650.com/forum/tags.php

Click on a tag to show all threads with that tag. It's like forum categories except that you can choose more than one, change them anytime, and other members can help categorize the information. The idea is that all threads on the topic of motorcycles go in The Garage, and you can pick what category your thread belongs in after you write the first post. Also, if your thread evolves into something else, it can be put into that category too. You can also make your own categories by giving something a tag that has not been used before.

I have defined what the main topics will be and almost every thread in 'The Garage' should be assigned at least one main topic (maybe two) and maybe a couple of more specific topics (not main topics).

- thats why youre only allowed to add 2 :D and theres an edit function
Actually the person who started the thread can add 4, and other members can add 2. This could be changed at anytime though and the idea is still to have each thread be in only one or two main topics. More tags can be used for further defining a thread. Like a thread about jetting carburetors would have the main tag of 'carburetors' and also the tag 'jetting'.

I haven't really promoted the system yet because it's still sort of a work in progress and I'd like to make a big post to explain how it works and how people should use it. If done right, it could be much better than limiting each thread to one topic.

properly tagged is the key
So is putting your thread in the correct category from the start on most forums. On most forums, forum moderators spend so much time moving threads around because people miscategorize things. Also what if you have a thread that doesn't perfectly belong in one category (or topic) because it covers two main categories? If people would be more descriptive with their titles, you wouldn't even need forum categories or tags or anything because if someone had a thread about jetting carburetors, 'jetting carburetors' would be somewhere in the title and could easily be found by using the search tool. Since it's not a perfect world, people can now browse The Garage for threads, browse by Topics, search for threads by specific words, or search by tags.

There will be more written the Topics page soon and it will also be included in the main navigation bar. (for now, click search then tag search to get to topics page)

Also see this thread: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4758#post4758

:bike:

thanks for the info i will definitely make a mental note and make sure i tag all future posts

i think the main message to members might be useful to make people aware of this feature

- note that not all posts or threads will really require tags...only those adding to the knowledge base

Travis,

I think this is an excellent solution. I do think that other boards are too chopped up. I also know that once it's warm I'm going to want to find old topics and this will help a ton!

Thank you

Actually inxs, almost all threads in The Garage should have tags. Tagging is a way to categorize all the information in the garage so people can browse by topic. Good tech treads will end up in the Tech section. Think of it as a three tiered system: All motorcycle related posts that are not classifieds get posted to The Garage. Most of those threads are assigned to one (maybe two) main topics so you can browse threads posted to The Garage by topic, and the best of all the threads in The Garage will get added to the Tech page (which already needs updating).

Notice how there are special categories that aren't really even technical or add to the knowledge base. Any thread that is motorcycle related but not related to the XS650 should probably be tagged with 'non-xs650' if it clearly doesn't belong in any other category. There is also the tag 'intro' for new member introductions. New members probably won't know right away to tag their thread with 'intro' so someone else will probably do it for them to help them out.

To make it easier, when you create a new post, I plan to design it so you can just click a button for the main topic the thread belongs in. Additional categories will be typed in as they are now.

As stated before, this system is a work in progress.

- no worries, its getting going thats the hardest...once the patterning is there it will tick over quite well :thumbsup:

Back