Found fine cracks? at the bottom of my 81, jugs. Was retorquing but that is on hold.. HELP!

Orion61

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Found cracks? at the bottom of my 81, jugs slightly oily head gaskets, runs fine. Was retorquing but that is on hold.. HELP! It seems the bolts, (loosening in reverse seem really tight. Cracks are on back each side under jugs. It isn't leaking oil, should I continue the re torque? or is this top tran/motor cover shot? Can that be welded from outside?

Last edited:
Fine "cracks" in XS650 cases are completely normal. Aluminum casting in those days would result in shrinkage at the mold as the aluminum cooled making spider web "cracks", not an issue, carry on.
Just behind the cylinders is a prime spot for those webs to appear.

Found cracks? at the bottom of my 81, jugs slightly oily head gaskets, runs fine. Was retorquing but that is on hold.. HELP! It seems the bolts, (loosening in reverse seem really tight. Cracks are on back each side under jugs. It isn't leaking oil, should I continue the re torque? or is this top tran/motor cover shot? Can that be welded from outside?
DSCN1189.JPG
DSCN1193.JPG
DSCN1194.JPG

Thanks a lot men! I learned something new, I'll never be without a 650. I was afraid the reason I got the bike for $600.00 "a great condition survivor" with the flashers, mirrors, seat, and 9100 original miles, stored covered inside for 32 years! Plus not one of those ugly freaking extended forks that made me stand on tip toes. the 4" over weren't too bad, but the 6 and 8" over blah.. also rake is so tight: NEVER EVER ride on old hard tires! That is if you don't want to end up laying on the ground, pinned by your bike on a corner, getting your leg fried!
These were a copy of a Triumph and made for the narrow winding hills of England so they had a very shallow rake, not good on wet or tight corners..
Thanks again and I am sending a prayer for the people of Ukraine.

I loosened my head bolts to re-torque my heads on my 1981 650, in reverse order.
Should I let the top end just sit for a few days\weeks? These were severely over tightened.
It. Using a 3/8th wrench, it was all I could to crack them.

Back