casing deformities

amishmike23

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys just wondering if these casing marks and cracks are normal. I want to finish building this motor but the casing has me worried. thanks for the help.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369271287248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369271287248.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 114
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369271306336.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369271306336.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 103
thanks for the quick reply. I just noticed that this motors cases are different than the ones I have in the bike right now. then again the cases I'm buliding are from a 77-79 and the cases in the bike are 81 that's prolly why they are different and when I bought it it held oil so hopefully all will be good.

Normal, behind the LH cylinder is a very popular spot. More common near radius's and corners.
A couple of random quotes from the web about a "supposedly" cracked Miata oil pan.

"Both of the oil pans that I checked have minor flashing or webbing around the drain plug from the diecasting process. Molds used to diecast aluminum frequently develop spider-web cracks in the surface (heat checking) that transfer to the parts being cast. These lines look like cracks at first glance.
"

" I work for a company which designs and manufactures diecast tooling for various industries including automotive. Depending on factors such as severity of thermal cycling, part shape, die design, heat and surface treatments, etc.., die inserts will eventually start to heat-check. As diecasters come under ever-increasing economic pressures they tend to run more shots through their dies before a rebuild. It is not uncommon to see heat-check flashing on die cast aluminum parts these days. "

Back