Frame Design - Help

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
Screen+shot+2011-09-28+at+11.06.24+PM.png

1. 40 Deg Rake.
2. 21" Front rim with standard tyre size.
3. 18" Rear rim with standard/200mm tyre size.
4. 4" Ground Clearance
5. Engine mounts in stock position.
6. 0 deg Adjustment in triple trees
7. Hidden axle plates

Stock offset distance
Need to transfer this into CAD and work it some more.

The Trail looks to be about 14" I'm estimating which I think is a concern. Any ideas on how to shorten the trail other than offset triple trees or changing the look???

What is the length of the standard swing arm and on the drawing above where would it start from…. Want to work out if my rear axle would be in the same place.

Also interested in how the extended fork inner tubes work, do they use all stock internal springs, dampeners etc??

You could do raked bearing cups if you use HD style steering stem and neck. That would help out some. But yeah, anything over 35 and I've been having to offset the trees or put some rake in the trees.

The "digger" bike I am building is 35 degree rake, and I had to offset the stem line about 6.5" to get the proper trail...

Tanks by Tig man did that black xs 650 with the scallops that was all over the internet with 40 degree rake. I dont know any of the details though. Did he just change the neck rake or did he have to compensate in any other ways? This is something Im very interested in for my next build but I need more education on the matter myself. Ill be following your thread for this one. I want to do a sporty and make it LOW.

498mm from the Center to center, Swing arm bolt to the Axle bolt. Swing arm bolt is the vertical line between the front footpeg mounts on the old Standard frame in your pic

Tanks by Tig man did that black xs 650 with the scallops that was all over the internet with 40 degree rake. I dont know any of the details though. Did he just change the neck rake or did he have to compensate in any other ways? This is something Im very interested in for my next build but I need more education on the matter myself. Ill be following your thread for this one. I want to do a sporty and make it LOW.

That was one of Gordonscotts bike, I have sent him an email asking how it worked out.

Punkskalar - f I do have to go down the path of raked trees, where do I get one for an xs? or do I have to go harley front end?
Neck cpas add rake to the neck same as cutting and welding, so they increase trail…….Don't think you can put em in backwards to reduce rake.

650skull - Thanks mate.

Last edited:
You could do raked bearing cups if you use HD style steering stem and neck. That would help out some. But yeah, anything over 35 and I've been having to offset the trees or put some rake in the trees.

The "digger" bike I am building is 35 degree rake, and I had to offset the stem line about 6.5" to get the proper trail...

Any photos of the DIGGER neck, or the others you have had this issue with?

Back