Frame question

Lion5466

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi there, first time post. Just wondering g if anyone on here had any experience with what I've been trying to figure out the past few days. I picked up an 81 in pieces about a week ago and have been getting it back in working order. The guy I got it off of had cut the frame with the intention of doing a hardtail build. I'm not that crazy about the style and was wondering if anyone knew of anything that I could do besides buying a new frame to get it back to its more original shape. There are so many weld on hardtail kits its hard to imagine that there aren't any products that serve my purpose. Any knowledge helps, thanks a lot.

Lion5466, if you could post a photo of the current frame then I am sure you will get many good suggestions coming in.

Cheers.

Do you have the piece that was cut off? If so, you could always have solid plugs made to go inside the frame and weld it back together. Post some pictures of it, and we can tell if this is possible or not.

Thanks for that hogtyed. I had wondered how to reweld thin tube without popping holes in it. Must try it this weekend.

I don't have the piece that was cut off, I could see if the guy I bought from still has it. Will post pictures in a minute.

20161018_171649.jpg
20161018_171659.jpg

Looks like he chewed it off, lol. On the bright side, he didn't cut it away as much as is usually done for a hardtail. Basically, you just need to acquire a rear frame section and weld it back on. You may be able to get one from somebody else who's cut theirs off for a hardtail conversion.

Hi Lion and welcome,
at least the frame still has it's swingarm pivot points. As posted, clean up what remains and weld on a replacement rear end.
I prefer a heavy wall (~1/8") tubular slug to a solid one to join the new parts to the old.
If your PO has tossed the cut off parts or if the removal process has made them unusable you are on your own.
Like 5twins sez, find a better class of hardtailer who may have carefully saved his unwanted frame parts or there's aftermarket Bratstyle kits available or you could scratch-build.
But be sure you can title your pile of parts before sinking time and money into it.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input. Seller said that he got the frame this way so no luck on him having it. Is there a specific page here where I could say that I'm looking for that? I'll also look into brat kits, and thanks fredintoon, I made sure that I could do that.

Go to the "Classified" section here and post a "Wanted" ad.

Plus to what Fred stated. The frame has been cut to accept a brat style dropped seat . Visual Impact makes a top flight one that you can buy fully assembled , tig welded , complete with solid slugs. Or you can get a do it yourself kit. I have used one and the fit and welding are really great.

IMHO find a good uncut no title frame move the numbers. Some times yah just gotta do what yah gotta do.

It's so about distance with stuff like frames but post up a wanted classy. I got at least one perfect low miles 79 special frame no title, yours for a song but hate shipping large crap. Bet one close to you is waiting for your love.

It's so about distance with stuff like frames but post up a wanted classy. I got at least one perfect low miles 79 special frame no title, yours for a song but hate shipping large crap. Bet one close to you is waiting for your love.
Yeah shipping is rough on stuff like that. Posted a wanted ad, also gonna go check out a salvage yard near by.

If you're trying to remain or get back to stock, try to find a rear section very close in year to yours. Many of the tabs for things like side covers and seat mount differed on the later ones. From the looks of what you've got, it appears to be a '78 or '79 Special, or '80 Special II.

Back