Frame stamped under tank XS1?

Nope.I'm guessing its a build #?Heres a pic of vin sticker I got from a member.Could it be the 3 digit # in parenthesis bottom right corner?
yamaha decal.jpeg

Haha! :laugh2: Ok....two things. My bike is currently in pieces in the garage, so I went running out there to compare your photos with my bike.

1. First , I thought “son of a bitch,” his vin # is exactly the same as mine! :eek: Then I realized that was my photo from my build! :D

2. I checked the top of my frame to see if it had a number stamped on there, and lo and behold, there was! It’s very fine and has probably been mostly filled from the powder coat, but it’s there. The first time I ever noticed it.
X29
2857C8FA-40A7-461E-9147-14BA4CFC87AD.jpeg

Hey Mailman ,I would have loved to see the look on your face when you saw the vin sticker pic!:wtf::laugh2:.Mine was unreadable and I removed it to paint frame and found your pic here to get a visual on the OEM sticker.I'm guessing the # is production run maybe?:umm:

The factory I work in stamps cylinders. I believe it's a quality check for welds and leak tests. Does anyone know a person that worked in XS production back in the day? It's possible several are still alive maybe? Asians (Japanese) eat healthier but smoke a lot....haha

My guess is it's the serial number of the jig the frame was built up in. Any frame QC problems would need to be traced back to the jig it was built in.

I'm curious now as to why my company stamps. I'll look into it. Wasn't it after WW2 we went and help to rebuild Japan? Helped in the setup of their manufacturing processes as well? Few decades later they came over here and passed us on work ethic, quality, and wages a lot of times. I was not alive. Just know what Ive read and heard.

My guess is it's the serial number of the jig the frame was built up in. Any frame QC problems would need to be traced back to the jig it was built in.
These days Lincoln Welders have parameters set. If you move to slow for the wire speed and amperage setting, it alarms. They even make helmets with green and red lights. Green = proper work angle. Haven't seen these in production yet but in training. A lot of Fanuc robotic weld cells that don't miss. All monitored by camera. Our bikes were made in the very primitive years of automated welding. Simple turn fixtures with phuematic clamps. Guessing this because of old equipment I've worked on. Thin wall tubing with trick engineered gussets.

Wasn't it after WW2 we went and help to rebuild Japan? Helped in the setup of their manufacturing processes as well? Few decades later they came over here and passed us on work ethic, quality, and wages a lot of times. I was not alive. Just know what Ive read and heard.

Use your favorite search engine, spend some time browsing [Deming theory japan]

Back