Frame stand - home made

David M

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen engine stands, but I hadn't seen any frame stands around here; or just about anywhere else for that matter.

I wanted to get my frame up off the floor to a reasonable working height. I also wanted it to be stable and not wobble around because of the location of the side stand mount. Since it's only for one project, I wanted something that I could make myself and making it from plywood means that it's easy to assemble, disassemble, and recycle.

I'll use the stand for most of the assembly work up to the point of reinstalling the engine.

The base is 18" x 30" x 3/4" plywood. The bolts are 3/8" x 3.00". If it gets unstable, I'll undo a few screws and move the base back or forward. Or maybe just screw it to a longer or wider piece of plywood. If it starts getting too heavy, I'll screw some casters to the bottom.

It took all of about 2 hours to measure, cut, screw, glue and mount the frame. I screwed the front section to the base first and then bolted on the frame. Next, I bolted the rear section to the frame and got it sort of plumb & level and then screwed that to the base.

I may be just reinventing the wheel but so far, it's been a great solution for me.

Attachments

• P1030381 (Large).JPG
    P1030381 (Large).JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 196
  • P1030386 (Large).JPG
    P1030386 (Large).JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 137
I made one years ago out of scrap steel, it actually worked like a rotiserie, the back of the frame bolted to a plate and the front head tube had a pin go down into it which was bolted onto another plate, both sat on a cradle and i could turn the frame in 2 inch increments and put a bolt through the one end plate to hold it there.

Wish i still had it, I cut it up to use The steel for something i needed right away

Back