Free parts bike

CBJamie

BIKE ADDICT
Reaction score
I'm picking up a free parts bike this saturday, owner says its a early 70's Hustler xs650. Anyone heard of this model. I have no idea of condition just know most of it it there and he's checking on the title. :thumbsup:

There was never a Yamaha called that that I am aware of. There was a 250 Suzuki two stroke by that name, the X-6 Hustler. It was a 250 twin two stroke road bike with a 6 speed tranny, hence the "X-6" designation.

Hi Jamie,
a free bike is a good thing, whatever make or model it is.
Let us know what it turns out to be, eh?

He said its a xs650 yamaha so i'm confident its a xs just what model how much is there. Know for sure the frame, engine and wheels are there he told me that much. Really hopeing to get a title with it so i dont have to cut up the 80 frame i just got.

Ok got tube free bike today its a yamaha and an XS just not a 650, 75xs 500 very rough condition but it has a good clean title. So it was worththe trip.

Attachments

• 20160220_165903.jpg
    20160220_165903.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20160220_165939.jpg
    20160220_165939.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 119
That's the plan. tank is clean inside I have 1 good side cover the rack and sissy bar are decent condition front wheel will clean up and it has a title.

Last edited:
It has a cush drive hub, so it's not the "same". 5twins did a mod of some old cush drive rear hub to use it on a 650.........

Yes, it will swap in but needs some modding. As far as rear wheel swaps go, this one has a few good points. As Gary mentioned, it has a cush drive sprocket mount. This would ease the stress on those 6 damper springs on the back of the clutch hub. That is the 650's "cush drive" and those springs tend to break over time. 650 rear sprockets are solid mounted so offer no help in preserving those springs. The 500 wheel uses the same axle size and sprocket mount so those issues need not be addressed. All you need do is re-space the wheel to center it (and align it to the front) and space the sprocket to align it. You can make the needed spacers out of the old 500 sprocket.

Looks solid enuf to clean up. Why not?

The frame and wheels would clean up but the engine is trash, been open on the stator side laying in the mud, no carbs and no spark plugs in it. would be lucky to salvage the head off this engine. Rusty water pured out of the block when i picked it up. Pure shame as i have a soft spot for this model, my first street bike was 73 TX500.

There are lots of useful 650 parts on these, things like the turn signals, turn signal flasher unit, and coils. The seat/helmet lock and it's corresponding bracket on the seat bottom are the exact same items used on some 650s. In fact, that's where the ones on my 650 came from. I've stripped 3 of these for parts over the years. Save the wiring harness. It's a small gold mine for spare connectors and wiring. Oh, and the headlight chrome ring is the same as the 650's. That's another 500 part on mine.

Back