Front and Rear Disk calipers: interchangeable?

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hi all. Sorry to post such a newbie question, but I'm a newbie :) First xs650 bobber build and I seem to be missing my rear brake caliper for disk brakes on my mag wheels. I have the mounting bracket that slides on the rear axle, but not the caliper itself. Finding them seems to be a bitch. Can I just use a caliper from a front wheel and mount it in the rear mount? Thanks.

Dave

It looks to me that it's the same caliper just different brackets. You should be good to go with a front one.

i thought i read somewhere the bleeder valves are in different spots, though that shouldnt be 2 much of a problem. cheers

Posted via Mobile

Hey thanks guys. I just bought one off ebay for $20. Sweet, now I will have front AND rear brakes. I feel like a millionaire! Quick question, I just opened the caliper that I have and the piston is all rusted. I can prob sand it down once I remove it, is that a bad idea? Should I just replace it? Grazi :)

Dave

Depends on where it is "all rusted" at. If it's well below the oring seal you are ok. If the rust pits will travel over the bore seal, replace it.

Yeah, replacement may be necessary. It's seized in the caliper. Have it soaking in Pb blaster now but if I were a magic 8 ball, I would say "outlook not so good"

Bleeder valves are oriented a bit differently. See pics... You will notice the bleeder valves are oriented upright despite their mounting orientation front vs rear. Should still work fine though.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 84
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 77
Back