Front Axle question.

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm loose fitting my bike sections. Just trying to get as much assembled as possible. I did all the parts per the books but when I slid the front axle in just to group it all together with the front wheel, it was loose. I expected to have to tap it in. I double checked the bearings, the pacage says xs650. I'd bet I have a 1/16" clearance. The only difference is I took the parts from a spoke wheel to a mag. But everything else fit fine. I do have that inner tube section in, but the bearing O.D. is the same so.....
I'm missing something?

The rear fits snug, and was also from a spoke to mag.

Bearings should have a 17mm I.D. and the axle should be 17mm in diameter.

They said they fit an xs650. I double checked before installing.
The odd part is, the speedo cap is also loose. I'll pull another axle from another set of spoke rims I have and check again. Thanks.

I'd be doing some measuring, but that's just me, lol. Yamaha makes or has made more than one 650 model over the years. Some of the later ones may have larger diameter axles. Can you read the numbers on the new bearings? The front wheel takes two 6303's.

So I'm loose fitting my bike sections. Just trying to get as much assembled as possible. I did all the parts per the books but when I slid the front axle in just to group it all together with the front wheel, it was loose. I expected to have to tap it in. I double checked the bearings, the pacage says xs650. I'd bet I have a 1/16" clearance. The only difference is I took the parts from a spoke wheel to a mag. But everything else fit fine. I do have that inner tube section in, but the bearing O.D. is the same so.....
I'm missing something?
The rear fits snug, and was also from a spoke to mag.

Hi Gcraay,
betcha that if the axle, wheel & forks you started with don't share a common 17mm axle diameter they were transplanted from a different bike.

Back