front brake hose

JAGUARGOD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So...I dropped my front end by 2 inches...would like to get rid of the brake block and shorten front hose...dont see anything in search...less I missed it. Any advice on a new hose?? Looks like I need one about 22-24 inches. Mike's has a 20 inch and a 41 inch.
Any suggestions?? Kev.

I'll be doing this too. What year do you have? Do you have the steel line between the caliper and hose? I would really like to find out if there is a way to have a banjo bolt fitting at the caliper.

Scott

Are you sure about that length? It seems awful short. The 41" length Mike's offers is for stock higher bar bikes. When most of us switch to lower Euro or Superbike bars, we go with something about 32" to 36". You dropping the front 2" doesn't seem to justify another 10" to 12" shorter. But, if you're sure, Mike's offers a 24.5" line they label as a rear. That doesn't matter as long as the fittings on the ends are correct. You can use a line from any bike as long as the fittings match. Many of us use this 32" one with our low bars ......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201465631590?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This line is speced for an ATV but like I said, that doesn't matter. It has what we require, the proper 10mm banjo fittings on the ends. One end is also angled slightly. We need/want that for bleed nipple clearance down at the caliper end .....

BrakeHoseLowerFitting.jpg

Ok...thanks for that! Will look closer. That rear hose may work also. My bars are low also. I appeciate all the advice. want this bike back on the road....Kev.

If you have a roll of house wiring laying around, cut about a 4' length off and pull one of the wires out of it. You can use this solid core 12 or 14GA wire as a template for the hose length you need. You can fit it up to the bike, bending it as need be for proper routing, and it will hold the shape. Mark the end for the length you need, pull it out, straighten it, and measure.

Yes, you don't want it too short. A couple inches too long usually isn't a problem either. You can usually "absorb" that little extra length by the routing. The line I'm using was a smokin' eBay deal and a couple inches longer than ideal. I was able to nicely take that up by arching the line over towards the left headlight ear before routing it down to the caliper. It worked out perfectly .....

BrakeLine.jpg

I just replaced mine with a SS one from 650Central. Mike suggested 26 inches. I thought it was going to be too short but it worked out great. Here's a photo with the stock line, just to give u an idea of the bars on the bike, those are stock forks, 79 special.
brake_line.jpg

Mine is long too and routed as shown. I had a clip that I had in my junk bucket, put some shrink tubing on my SS line and have it anchored to the lower triple tree as you can see.

Attachments

• DSCN3827.jpg
    DSCN3827.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN3818.jpg
    DSCN3818.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Brake Line clip.gif
    Brake Line clip.gif
    133.2 KB · Views: 298
I "re-purposed" the splitter block mount for my guide. A short length of fuel line split length-wise and slipped on the line protects it .....

BrakeLineGuide.jpg

Be sure to measure with your forks extended. I have tracker bars and 1" drop, and I measured ~29" for a new line, routing toward the center of the lower triple as shown by 5twins above.

There's a company out of Canada selling custom length stainless hose for ~$35 with your choice of fitting angle. I've also seen a lot of chatter on Goodridge hoses.

Hi Kev,

err on a slightly longer length than you measure. if you have small small diameter hose or tubing, you can get a pretty accurate dimension.

I went to my local bike shop and found the closest SS hose they had to 26" which was 36"... (with the right fittings that is) so I just used it, and routed it accordingly. I used the splitter mount location that 5twins used, with a bracket I had lying around...can't recall what the bracket was for, but it was already covered in a rubber sheath so it doesn't wear on the SS hose.

Let us know how it works out. I should mention that this line recommendation came from gggGary.

It might slightly because the spacers displace more space in the forks now (not as much room for the oil). Best way to fill them would be by measuring to the top of the oil level, springs out, forks compressed, not by the normal measuring of a certain amount and pouring it in. A normal rule of thumb for the measuring method is not less than 6" from the top. Much higher than that could be too much and pop the seals.

Back