front disc brake problem

DrofBBQ

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Working on my 72 XS and I had the bracket disc bead blasted and forgot to ask that the small rubber cushion be covered up so one is gone completely and I can't seem to find one. If I'm reading the parts list correctly it's Damper, Disc Brkt F/N 108295 306-25837-01-00 . So am I in deep trouble here?
Any thoughts on where I might find a replacement ? I tried the Yamaha Parts House any other suggestions? Everyone I have called just laughs and tells me I'm out of luck. So what the hell can I make one out of ? Or do I dare just take the other one out. LOL
Thanks for any thoughts you might have
Jack
Part number 36.JPG
Part number 36.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Doc,
I reckon that as parts cost money Yamaha wouldn't put anything on a brake system that wasn't absolutely needed so yes, better you find another damper than go without both of them.
That's item #36 in the sketch? And it's made out of rubber? If you can't buy one you can make one.
Go to a car parts shop and buy any sheet rubber thing that's the same thickness as the pad you still have.
Truck mudflap, perhaps?
Cut it to the right shape with with a razor knife.

Well I finally went to see a friend at an auto body shop and after looking at it for a minute he went over to a massive pile of nuts, bolts, washers, and screws and pulled out a 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch square of rubber just a little thicker than the original. WOW, so I'm going to use my air grinder and give it a haircut and a shave and the cut out the right size. So I'm happy as hell. Now what kind of glue to use to keep it stuck in place? Rubber to metal ?

Last edited:
I would think you would need a contact adhesive like Loctite High Performance Spray Adhesive. I've used this for heat shields under fuel tanks, it's a real permanent bond. Apply to both parts, you can spray it on a paper plate and then brush it onto the part, allow both parts to dry for about 2 min., then stick them together. I use a timer or a watch.

I would go to the band saw to cut rubber.

Scott

I would think you would need a contact adhesive like Loctite High Performance Spray Adhesive. I've used this for heat shields under fuel tanks, it's a real permanent bond. Apply to both parts, you can spray it on a paper plate and then brush it onto the part, allow both parts to dry for about 2 min., then stick them together. I use a timer or a watch. I would go to the band saw to cut rubber.
Scott

Scott,
Your post came after I had already glued it with Gorilla glue. It has dried over night and seems to be stuck pretty tight. But I like Loctite products a lot.
Thanks
Jack

Back