Front End Overhaul Help

InfamousXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,

Been using the guides on the forum for a few weeks now and decided to join the forum and get some more help on the build. The bike is a 1978 XS Special Edition I picked up a few months ago. The bike ran and I took it for a drive a few times but decided I want to take care of the new addition and no better way to do it then restoration and chopper build.

Right now I am working on painting the forks and replacing the oil in the forks. The 17mm hex head has been the biggest pain so far but I ordered the right part and will be able to finish that off soon I hope.

I have a few questions coming up to this point: Can I apply paint directly onto the chrome fender or should I prepare the surface in some way? I want to paint the fender black and didn't know how well it would apply to the surface.

And the biggest question so far, WIRING. I want to replace the headlamp and blinkers on the front end. I plan on getting a manual speedometer and just drop the tachometer. There are a few wires coming out of both and I am not sure what those are for. Internal illumination? And I haven't opened up the headlamp bowl to inspect the 100 wires going into it. I think I just have a fear about how complex the wiring system is. I live in Massachusetts so blinkers are required and I have looked at alternatives to blinkers. I am always open suggestions :thumbsup:

Sorry for the long post and newbie questions but you gotta start somewhere right? Glad to be a member here and can't wait to finish the build!

Clean scuff clean spray. As for the wiring if it is working leave it. If not replace it all. There are more than enough info covering that on this sight.

Posted via Mobile

Sorry for the delay but I was actually over in England for a week. I got back to work right away when I returned last night and I came to decide I need to replace the tach and speedo. I am looking at going to just the speedo with the nuetral, turn, high beam lights. I will take a look into how wiring works through other resources on this sight.

Has anybody used bar-end turn signals though? I think that could help with the overall look of the bike eventually but I want to make sure they are still effective at the same time.

Back