Front fork - adjustable cap bolt

I tinkered with my XS11 Special suspension. I set it to 35 mm of laden sag. It’s good at carving Appalachian corners. Traxxion Dynamics supplied the springs and they’re mated with RaceTech emulators. Progressive Suspension shocks control the rear. I went to 650 Central to get the correct rear springs. It’s better than stock. Two turns out on the emulators made it compliant with Mississippi roads. I’m going to have to replace the rear springs again, since I lost weight.

All that said, I’m not going to mess with the 650. I enjoy it as is. It’s well maintained and makes me happy as it is. I can dial in the sag with the stock components.

Measure the distance from fork dust seals to bortom triple, with the fork fullt extended (i.e. on the Center stand or a lift. This should be in the 6.5 to 7 inch region, since the suspension travel is around 6 inches. I think laden sag (Bike with suited up rider, balanced by a buddy) should be in the 1.5 to 2 inch region. Which means the distance from dust seal to bottom triple should then be 4.5 to 5.5 inch region, all depending.

Measure the distance from fork dust seals to bortom triple, with the fork fullt extended (i.e. on the Center stand or a lift. This should be in the 6.5 to 7 inch region, since the suspension travel is around 6 inches. I think laden sag (Bike with suited up rider, balanced by a buddy) should be in the 1.5 to 2 inch region. Which means the distance from dust seal to bottom triple should then be 4.5 to 5.5 inch region, all depending.
I placed my bike on the lift, with the front tire an inch off the ground (no load) and with the adjusters at the min setting it measured 6 3/8” from the dust seals to the bottom triple. Lowered the lift so the bike was on the side stand (just the weight of the bike) it measured 5 1/8”. I then set adjusters to the max setting, with the bike on the side stand and got 5 1/2”. So the adjusters (on my bike at least) have a 3/8” difference between min and max.

Ok, that tells something about unladen sag. You need to sit on the bike, no stands, maybe just steady yourself and the bike with a hand against a workbench or a wall. Then have a buddy measure the distance between dust seal and lower triple.
Even better, have the same buddy push down on the suspension a bit, release the pressure, then measure. Next, do the opposite, lift a little bit, then release and measure. The difference you will see is due to friction. The actual value is the midpoint between those two measurements. Like I said before, you will want the fork to be compressed 1.5 to maybe 2 inches with you on the bike, in normal riding posture.

Back