front forks mods???

urbandork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently I have 35mm forks and i would like to improve them. I plan on running 13.5" progressive suspension 14 series in the back.

Ive been doing a lot of reading about progressive front springs and emulators from racetech/mikesxs (copies). Ive also done a lil research as to what forks may swap over but then i may have to change out the rim... i think.... I currently have a stock spoke rim and would like to keep that for now.

Im not sure if i should run emulators and progressive springs in the front or just stick with a stock spring and use the emulators.

bottom line is im looking for advice on how to improve the front forks. Any ideas? Links and pix are always helpful.

Thank in advance

Welcome urbandork, If you replace the front fork springs with a set of progressive wound ones and a set of emulators and a fork brace. 10 weight fork oil for your forks or higher for a harder ride, that is dependent on your personal preference. This set up will give you a great ride and the brace will give the forks stability The brace that Mikes sell's does not look out of place when installed. Sorry no pics..http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526 is a link to a discussion on Emulators

To get optimal performance from emulator valves you need straight-rate fork springs with correct rate for your bike and rider weight. This may have changed, but a few years back when I did my forks there were no off-the-shelf straight-rate springs available for our application, so I bought a pair of custom springs from Traxxion Dynamics. They're fine folks to work with; they recommended a rate that turned out to be 0.1 kg./mm. too tight when sag was measured, and when I gave them the numbers the response was, "No problem--we'll send you a lighter pair, return what you have when the new ones arrive." You couldn't ask for better service and ethics.

- paul thede from racetech themselves suggests not to use progressive fork springs but rather springs rated for your riding style-slightly stronger than original

Springs, one of the most common modifications people make, know only one thing: Position, how much the spring is compressed. The more compression, the more pressure the spring pushes back with. If a bike wallows or bottoms frequently, increasing the spring's preload (i.e. increasing the spring's initial pressure) or putting a heavier spring in your fork will result in a firmer ride, possibly eliminating the problems. However, since the spring's increased pressure acts on all bumps, whether their shape and size require the increased pressure or not, the firmer ride may suffer from excessive stiffness. Variable-rate springs attempt to remedy this problem with a softer spring rate in their initial travel and more resistance as they compress. Thede feels progressively wound springs address the problem in a backwards way. The spring becomes its stiffest when he believes you need the most flexibility -- absorbing large bumps.

...i added emulators and heavier rated non-progressive springs to one of my bikes a while ago after running progressive springs for about 18 mths...i like the emulators a lot-the ride is a lot more responsive, but then i had no problems with the progressives either

- the fork brace made a world of difference too

Back