Front forks/suspension 1974 tx650

Scott74

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am working on what I hope to be a café project...I have a bad leak in one seal of the front shocks. Looks as though someone ripped out the seal without taking the circlips out first..the cast metal is damaged and I don't think repairable.

If I am going to replace these front forks (both) for the project, what's the best (economical) route? Will any from a xs650 fit or did the triple tree have different sizes over the years? Mine is a 74

cheers...scott

Most economical would be to find another '74-'75 fork leg. Nothing newer would be a direct replacement. A '72-'73 leg may work. A '76 leg may work as well but the caliper mounts were moved from the front to the back side.

Your '74 forks have 34mm tubes. In '77, the forks were changed to 35mm tubes. Any of those later sets will swap on if you use the later trees but your instrument cluster probably won't match the mounts on them. There's more - the front caliper and disc were changed along with the forks. Your stuff won't mate up with the newer fork.

Scott,
I wonder if 73 to 75 RD350 fork legs may fit. They use the same caliper, and I have used fork tubes made for a 650 on my 350.

Back