Front Sproket Install help

DoTheTon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i have been assembling my first from the box of nuts and bolts the guy i bought it from gave me and as far as i can tell the front sprocket goes on has a washer that goes on the outside and then the monster nut. Plus some torque. If that is correct please let me know thanks.

And what is the Torque rating for the nut?

Yeah, that's it.
Sprocket slides on, then the tabwasher, then the special nut with the little pocket to the inside to let the end of the splineshaft stick through it, then torque up the nut (87ft/lbs? ya gotta look up the number because I forget it) then bend up the washer.

It's fussy getting that tab washer aligned correctly and keeping it there while snugging the nut.

Modifying my previous post, here.
Sprocket slides on, then the tabwasher, it's splines fit on the end of the sprocket splines, a dab of grease helps it stay in position as the nut is threaded on.
The shallow recess in the special nut has to face inward so the end of the splineshaft can stick into it to allow the sprocket to be fully locked in place.
Torque up the nut to 87ft/lbs.
Bend up the tabwasher's outer edge over one of the nut's flats to stop the nut vibrating loose.
There's no middle road with undoing that nut.
They either spin off by hand when the tab is straightened or it'll take an air-impact wrench to shift them.
And the one time I used a new tabwasher it was so flat to the sprocket that I had to start it's tabbing bend by tapping a wood chisel in between them.

Back