Front Wheel Axel Removal

Maxx

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removing Front Wheel Axel

I consider myself mechanically inclined but this is giving me fits. After beating the hell out of what I hope was just the dust seal, but thought it was holding the axel in place, I can't remove the front axel from my 78 laced front wheel. What am I doing wrong or forgetting to remove? The manual isn't worth the paper it's printed on for this topic.

Attachments

• Wheel 03.jpg
    Wheel 03.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
that seal is not holding the axle in place, take it to a machine shop and they will press it out for cheap if you cant get it out without destroying it.

Thanks for the info! i was fairly certain that I had removed all of the hardware necessary to remove it. I hope that a replacement seal includes the threaded portion because the one that I removed it not looking so good.

I'm prepared top do whatever it takes for this project. By the way, I removed the seal and have a press lined up to press out the axel. Do new seals come with the threaded portion that screws into the hub, because I mercilessly beat the snot out of it during removal? What I removed is definitely not reusable.

I'm sorry but what is that thing? It sure doesn't look XS650..... The hub yes but this side should have the speedometer gear drive and behind that the loose "washer" with tangs that drives the speedo gear. If someone removed the speedometer drive they must have just chucked some random "it'll fit" into the hole in it's place? How did you get the wheel out of the forks?

I'm going back to my original hunch - that's a Honda CB hub. Count the spokes - bet you have 40.

Honda CB front hubs have threaded retaining rings on both sides. They're threaded on and then punched to stay in place.

The picture at the beginning of this post is the disc side with the disc removed. Here is the speedometer side and the best view that I can give of the hub. If it's the wrong wheel, I shouldn't be too surprised being that I received it as someone else's incomplete project.

Attachments

• Wheel 04.jpg
    Wheel 04.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Wheel 05.jpg
    Wheel 05.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 127
By the way, I just counted the spokes and guess what? 40 spokes! Big surprise! Supposedly, this wheel was being used on my highly modified 78 before I got it.

This wheel was not attached to any forks when I picked up this project bike because the front forks were missing. The rear wheel of the 78 was still attached and painted to match this wheel so I didn't suspect anything.

I would guess forks, front brakes, and all were Honda then.

And if that was the case you should check and see if the frame (neck) is straight because the number one reason for fork replacement is..................

Honestly I'd search out the Yamaha front wheel. Honda hubs have oddball bearing sizes and getting bearings for it to match a Yamaha front axle will be potentially a pain in the ass. You have two choices for sealed bearings in a Honda hub - 15 and 20mm. I believe the XS front axle is 17mm.

Anyhow, get your front end parts together and sort out what they all are and I'm sure things will start to make sense.

Thanks for the help everyone. I do have a set of mag wheels that I know are correct but my heart was set on spokes. If after I take a closer look at the rear spoked wheel and find out that it is OK, I may be in the market for a front spoked wheel. Thanks again!

Back