Front wheel moves a little with brake held..

Rat650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is normal or not, but don't think it is. When I hold my front brake and try to rock the bike back and forth the front wheel moves back and forth just a little and makes a clunk sound. Is this worn bearings? Or? I really appreciate any help, Thanks!

While you are doing the rock and roll thing, Ha Ha, put your finger on the steering head at the top where the upper bearing would be. See if you have some play there. If not, look for loose brake caliper, loose disc brake.

Second set of eyes and hands would be useful.

While you are doing the rock and roll thing, Ha Ha, put your finger on the steering head at the top where the upper bearing would be. See if you have some play there. If not, look for loose brake caliper, loose disc brake.

Second set of eyes and hands would be useful.
Thanks for the input! Just checked for play around the steering head and there is very little. The movement seems to be happening where I point out in the picture. Second set of eyes would be helpful, I'll take a closer look tonight when I have help. Thanks again

Attachments

• xs2 front wheel.jpg
    xs2 front wheel.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 166
If that is a '72 wheel, then a small amount of movement there is normal. The disc fits into slots on the hub and is damped by little rubber pucks. They wear out, fall out, get lost, etc. and replacements are N.L.A. Best solution is to get a newer wheel.

If that is a '72 wheel, then a small amount of movement there is normal. The disc fits into slots on the hub and is damped by little rubber pucks. They wear out, fall out, get lost, etc. and replacements are N.L.A. Best solution is to get a newer wheel.
Thanks 5twins! As far as I know it is the original wheel, making it a 72 wheel. It doesn't really bother me, it being safe to ride was my main concern.

Rat650, not sure if it's your case but its normal for brake pads to move slightly in the caliper. Even new bikes will do exactly what you're explaining; the wheel moves just slightly and there's a clunk sound. You may want to check the caliper area foe the noise...totally normal.

Back