Front wheel spacing question

shark1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My front wheel is not centered it the forks. What o.d. And I.d. Spacer do I need to get ? I have a 78 with Signal front disc. How do you go about getting the spacing right? The wheel is suppose to be centered it the forks ?

The axle is 17mm is it a spoke wheel? A picture would really help for a question like this. It is possible someone did not center the rim over the hub while working on the spokes.

The LH side spacer is the speedometer drive, the RH spacer is a steel sleeve with an attached shield for the bearing. Are the fork tubes both straight. improper assembly and tightening of the front axle can cause "off center" issues.

It is a spoke wheel. This is the way the bike came . There is a spacer on the same side as the spedo drive . It looks like a brass pipe the somebody cut with a saw. I was going to get a pipe form a specialty shop in my town and cut it to fit. But if your saying the spedo drive should have no spacer I might be able to switch side with the spacer that is there.

Pictures we need to see pictures. There should not be any spacers on the left except the speedo drive. We need to see what is going on! Are you using the brake? this is a big deal, that axle needs to be right, your life could be at stake.

Here is the info

axle 004 (800x248).jpg

axle 005 (800x578).jpg

axle 006 (800x600).jpg

axle 008 (800x600).jpg

axle 009 (800x600).jpg

axle 003 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• axle 007 (800x600).jpg
    axle 007 (800x600).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Gary you're a wealth of info dood. Do you have a separate hard drive just with XS pics? :bow2:

You rock

I hope you're saving them for the future, lol. You take some good ones. I have a free Photobucket account where I store all my cropped, re-sized, and labeled 650 pics. Makes it easy to post them right in the body of the message (don't need to click on them to see full size) and doesn't use this site's storage bandwidth.

This is what I have found- my forks are straight. 7-1/2" at the top center to center. At the bottom it is the same. Every thing I have is the same as in the pic. Size is the same as his pic. With the dust cover on the rotor side and the speedo gear on the other. There is 1/2" of space left between speedo gear and the fork. That is where my spacer is. Looks to me that the wheel hub is to narrow. The rotor side has to be where it is due to the caliper. I don't know how to up load the pics I have . I can email somebody the pic if you would like to see them. I don't know what I have going on here. My wheel hub is only 1-3/4" from spoke to spoke.

I'm thinking you may have a different front wheel there, not from a 650. Space between spoke flanges, outside to outside, on a stock 650 disc wheel is about 2 1/4"- so there's your 1/2".

I think it's the wrong wheel. The hub doesn't look wide enough. The speedo drive should fit up nearly tight to the left fork leg .....

TX750SpeedoDrive.jpg

The thing is if you space on the left the tire won't be centered to the motorcycle. Half the spacer width or 1/4" off center. Is that a big deal? Guess you would have to decide after riding it. Wonder if the wheel is off a XS400 special II? I don't know, but something like that? With that spacer you have nothing that ensures the speedo drive doesn't spin. I guess if I could find an XS650 wheel, I would change to it. Finally this one of those "Don't trust anything the PO did" moments. Why was the odd wheel used, what else may not be "quite right"? Enough to make you keep your eyes open for other "Issues"

XS360 maybe, XS400 used a mag for disc, spoke was a drum. Is it an 18" rim?

the wheel is a 19'' wheel. when i bought the bike i had to replace the front froks due to one being bent. so it is really hard to say what happened. where is a good place to look for a new wheel? i would like to get this stuff right.

If you have trees from a different model bike, your spacing is always going to be off.

Join NASA, I hear that's where the right stuff is. Your descriptions and pictures are clear as mud. Sorry but I can't be of much help in a situation like this so I'll take my leave. My advice would be to pay a competent somebody to sort and fix this for you.

Wow 5twins way to be an ass . I am just asking questions trying to figure out what I have. This is my first time every working with a xs650. Sorry I am not a pro like yourself.

Back