Frozen Nuts (Steering Stem)

abyssmaltailgate

Greenhorn Mechanic
Reaction score
I can't remove my bottom triple tree because the nuts on the steering stem are "frozen" and won't budge. Any tips on how to loosen the damn things without a specialized tool? I'm afraid to hit it with a screwdriver and hammer, so I'm wondering if there's a better way?

Additionally, there appears to be some oxidation, so I let some 3-in-1 oil set in overnight and I also lubed it up with some Liquid Wrench this morning... Please let me know what y'all think!

Attachments

• steering nut.jpg
    steering nut.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 324
Hi abyssmal,
BFH and a punch rather than a screwdriver will work but it's likely to knacker-up the notches.
The proper tool is two hook-wrenches (AKA peg wrenches) They look like the thing that adjusts your rear shocks but the right size to fit the head nuts.
Buy from a good tool store or Drummond-McCall or even torch, forge and grind your own from two el-cheapo wrenches.

Thanks for the advice fredintoon! I'll probably get those hook wrenches to remount the tree, but in the meantime I got hasty and used an old automotive brake tool (looks like a pry with a thicker end than a flat head screwdriver) and a hammer. A couple whacks loosened it enough to the point where I could undo the rest with a channel lock wrench!

If you know anybody in the aerospace seat business thats the same tool needed to tighten the seat locks down. You by chance know what the width of that nut is?

Spanner wrench in the common vernacular. Doesn't need to be very fancy, after bunging up too many nuts with punches, I (over)built a pair out of misc scrap steel, they have been used many times now. IMHO only decent way to set the bearing preload on reassembly is with a pair of wrenches.

Stem%20nut%20spanners.JPG

one peg on the end is all you need.

Back