FUBAR: Killer Gaming NICs, Windows 11, and Wi-Fi 7

Shelby

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ran into a weird bug & thought I'd share. As always YMMV

New router -- TP Link Wi-Fi 7 tri band. Great reviews. Good signal strength. Fast. Works great. Except… yeah. You knew that was coming.

Set up new router. Desktops came back on line, wired and wireless. Laptops… problem. Crashed hard. Looked like they were stuck in a shutdown loop. Finally had to hold the power button. Clean boot up, couldn’t get online, reboot entered the same shutdown loop. WHOLE lot of forums support that didn’t work. Fresh Windows 11 install also failed rather spectacularly.

Last Ditch Duct Tape & Bailing Twine Fix: Opened up the laptops. Removed Killer Gaming network cards. Reassembled. Plugged in old emergency ASUS Wi-Fi dongles. Bill was back up and online in a few minutes. Complete recovery. Mine I had to re-reinstall Windows on a fresh drive (the original is scrambled ATM -- couldn't reformat it internally).

Have since tried to reinstall two different internal NICs on my laptop and Windows once again turns into a kitchen appliance. However as soon as I pull the card back out it’s fine. Going to give it 6 months and check the NICs reviews till I work my way around to a permanent fix.

Back