Fuel drip on petcock

RVA804

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
petcock.png
There is a small drip of fuel forming on the back left side of the petcock, right on the gasket. It's very minimal and doesn't appear to build up enough to drop as the carburetor is clean of any fluids. Sorry for the poor quality picture, I hope you can see where I am talking about. There isn't any fuel drip happening at time of the picture but when I rub my fingers around the gasket I can feel wet fuel. Is this something I should be concerned with? I picked this bike up from someone last week Tuesday and it is my first bike so I am still learning! Thanks.

When the diaphragm starts leaking on the vacuum petcocks it will fill the backside, run down the vacuum line to the intake tract of the head. There is a chance it could run on into the case diluting your oil. Yamaha designed a channel in the spacer plate to let you know this was happening but with time they become clogged with road grime and varnish. You might check to see if this is the case.

On any gasoline engine, car/truck/bike/marine engine/aircraft engine, you want zero fuel leakage. No tolerance for even small leaks.
The ones you have are worn out. Buy a new manual petcock(s).

On any gasoline engine, car/truck/bike/marine engine/aircraft engine, you want zero fuel leakage. No tolerance for even small leaks.
The ones you have are worn out. Buy a new manual petcock(s).
Do you have any recommendations on which to buy? Also, I remove the fuel line and there is no leakage when in "on" and "reserve" position. But, when I switch from on to reserve there is a small drip but only when switching to reserve.

I hate to recommend Mikesxs, because many of their parts are poor quality. However, I have been using the Mikesxs.com manual petcocks for about 9 years now, and they are still working very well.
They have gone up in price, expensive now. You only need one petcock, even if your tank has 2 openings.

I hate to recommend Mikesxs, because many of their parts are poor quality. However, I have been using the Mikesxs.com manual petcocks for about 9 years now, and they are still working very well.
They have gone up in price, expensive now. You only need one petcock, even if your tank has 2 openings.
Great, thank you. It appears to be a rather easy swap with the vacuum one in there now... am I correct? Sorry, I am very new at this... I very much appreciate the help!

Hi RVA804.
while it's possible to dig into your previous posts to find that your bike is an '81 Bobber, it'd be helpful if you built that information into your signature line.
It's easy. Even I can do it. See mine below.
OK then, '81 XS650s came with a single vacuum-operated fuel petcock. MikesXS sells a manual fuel petcock that'll fit in it's place. Or you can rebuild your petcock to eliminate the vacuum operation system but you are still left with 35 year old rubber parts if you do.

Hi RVA804.
while it's possible to dig into your previous posts to find that your bike is an '81 Bobber, it'd be helpful if you built that information into your signature line.
It's easy. Even I can do it. See mine below.
OK then, '81 XS650s came with a single vacuum-operated fuel petcock. MikesXS sells a manual fuel petcock that'll fit in it's place. Or you can rebuild your petcock to eliminate the vacuum operation system but you are still left with 35 year old rubber parts if you do.
Done

20161128_161156.jpg
After mine stated leaking a second time I did it a different way. I removed the diaphragm and the plastic wafer and screwed the front and back directly together with a piece of gasket paper between them. Then I put in an on/off valve from Advance lawn mower section. The fuel line is from there too. That arrangement keeps the same reserve level I'm familiar with and keeps the screen the original petcock has. And it's way cheap.

I ignored this slight leak for awhile and suddenly it started pouring. I had gasket paper and a sharp pocket knife. I had to empty the tank to fix it and I emptied it into the tank of an ATV a guy had there and then I did this real quick and got gas some gas back from him. When I go to town I bought the valve and crimped the hose with a vice grip while I put the valve in. My part #17 was still good. If it isn't, there are things you can try, like turning it over.

Last edited:
Back