Fuel leak out air vents on carbs

snowbum161

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i have a 79 special with bs38 carbs and i am having problem with fuel leaking out the air filters.:wtf: there is a small air vent that it is leaking out of. just the left carb. i rebuilt the carbs is this a float level issue???? y would it leak out the vent tube????? any advice would be greatly appreciated

Usually when they leak like that it's either something with the floats like the level, they are damaged and not floating like they should, or binding. Or the float valve is not sealing right, either from wear or debris.

In '78, the overflow tubes in the float bowls were eliminated. If the bowls overfill, the only place that fuel can go is out the air jets or through the needle jet into the main bore. Since the air jet outlets inside the carb are located lower than the top of the needle jet, fuel usually comes out the air jets 1st. As grepper said, you have a float problem.

I think I'm having a similar issue with my 80. Bs34s? Seems feully below the air box and lower part of the frame but air filters dont look to be soaked in gas. Also seem kind of wet up under the tank around the petcock so mabey that or Both cock n carbs. on the left side of course. Put bike on center stand and wiped her down. doesn't seem so bad but still a bit gassy. I think she prolly has a hundred oil leaks, she only ever leaves one or two drops behind but she is oily down under, anyways back to studying the tech section and my manual, might as well learn sunthin. :shrug:

Back