Fuel leaking into air filter??

Chris Costello

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMG_9182.JPG
IMG_9184.JPG
IMG_9187.JPG
I reassembled the bike today and found fuel leaking heavily into my air filters from the carbs. Does anyone know why this happened or how to fix it??

For the gross leak, suspect bad float valve o-rings. But the whole fuel system needs to be clean from inside of the tank to the idle mix screw, clean replace everything made of rubber get rid of all the old varnish, including inside every tiny little hole and orifice in the carbs ( about 20 all told), check float valve springs pivot rods and tubes, clean the float valve screens, petcocks, and new petcock valve rubbers, Or keep a buddy with a PU on speed dial.

Last edited:
For the gross leak, suspect bad float valve o-rings. But the whole fuel system needs to be clean from inside of the tank to the idle mix screw, clean replace everything made of rubber get rid of all the old varnish, including inside every tiny little hole and orifice in the carbs ( about 20 all told), check float valve springs pivot rods and tubes, clean the float valve screens petcocks and new petcock valve rubbers, Or keep a buddy with a PU on speed dial.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it

Last edited:
Back