Fuel pump reliability

plattey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, so normally a fuel pump wouldn't apply to a stock xs650, but the bike is turbo'd and needs a pressurized fuel system to support the pressurized intake air.
I installed a solenoid style fuel pump that is external to the fuel tank. It has lasted about 400 miles worth of running and has rolled over and died. It stopped on me last week and I tapped it with a screwdriver and that got it pumping again. The fuel pump stopped working again today, it didn't even fizzle or smoke (grounds, switch, connections and fuse all checked good). The screwdriver trick didn't work this time. I checked the resistance of the fuel pump coil and it was on the scale of 187K ohms. When I talked to the napa peeps concerning finding a replacement pump with the specs I needed (15-20psi), they mentioned that solenoid type pumps vs vane type pumps are less reliable. I would like to agree with this since the solenoid style pump is relying on a coil and magnetic field to accelerate a cylinder back and forth with some check valves in the system, while the vane style is at a constant rotational speed (less vibration with respect to the solenoid type). I would like to get some feedback from a larger audience than just the parts guy at napa. Has anyone encountered this theory personally? Thanks!

Look at the automotive world. How many vehicles have you ever seen with an electric Solenoid pump?

None.

Vane flow-through types are a far better design and will last much longer.

I second the NAPA guys opinion..

~Revanoff~

I ran my mgb from a outboard solenoid pump pilfered from a tractor. They may be less reliable, I don't know, but you're dealing with a one-off, they're easy to rig, and it costs about $11. You figured out a working turbo? Fuel pump should be nothing.

Millions of cars and trucks are great testimony. Sumbmerged rotary vane pump.

The factory also made then very expensive to buy and difficult (read expensive again) to replace. I was at my dealer's a few weeks ago and the mechanic showed me a 500 dollar fuel pump for a Goldwing. That did NOT include labor, which is extensive. I'm tired of having to drop crusty, dirty fuel tanks because nobody in design engineering can or will justify access panels. I'd rather go back to the sixties for this shit.

The factory also made then very expensive to buy and difficult (read expensive again) to replace. I was at my dealer's a few weeks ago and the mechanic showed me a 500 dollar fuel pump for a Goldwing. That did NOT include labor, which is extensive. I'm tired of having to drop crusty, dirty fuel tanks because nobody in design engineering can or will justify access panels. I'd rather go back to the sixties for this shit.

That's why I drive an XS650.....................no fuel pump, no water pump..............simple, reliable and inexpensive.

As for cars, no need to drop the fuel tank, for a failed fuel pump, if you drive the right vehicle. My Toyota Camry has a removable access cover for the fual pump/fuel filter/sending unit, that can be removed, after taking out the back seat. However, car is 9 years old, and so far no need to do any maintenance on the fuel system.

That's why I drive an XS650.....................no fuel pump, no water pump..............simple, reliable and inexpensive.

As for cars, no need to drop the fuel tank, for a failed fuel pump, if you drive the right vehicle. My Toyota Camry has a removable access cover for the fual pump/fuel filter/sending unit, that can be removed, after taking out the back seat. However, car is 9 years old, and so far no need to do any maintenance on the fuel system.

Some cars do that, most do not.

my 92 accord supposedly had a access cover for the fuel pump. the two cover didn't line up good enuf for me to get the pump out. cost me 900 bucks to get it fixed. drop tank.

Agree, the vane pump is the way to go. More efficient in all areas. I would like some more details on your turbo bike/setup

I use a Holley Red pump it is a 7 psi pump. Holley has couple of other pumps have higher psi they use external regulators. little more money,but by time you buy 3 or 4 of the cheaper ones you could buy a good one. I learned the hard way.the Holley has worked great for about 5 yrs now,used to go through 2 or 3 cheap ones a year.

i hear ya brother.i like to make my own access panels with a sheet metal nibbler.just did a 93 chev truck fuel pump.carved a 1ft square hole over the tank, dropped in the pump and pop riveted the peice back in and slid the bedliner over it.took about a hour and didnt have to fight the rusted tank strap bolts. my sentra on the other hand has a panel rite over the pump, bet i cud change it in 30 min.

I used a external NAPA brand fuel pump on my Goldwing after the stock pump died. 68k miles on that pump when I sold the bike. Maybe you got a bad one....maybe I got a great one.

Back