Fuel "T" bar seal replacement

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
Ok, when the gas is turned on (BS34 on an '81) there is a leak coming out of the brass fuel "T" bar (Mikes Part #48-0884 for reference) where it goes into the carb. Took the carbs apart and one side is not seating totally. The lip is visible on one side (bad side) and is in/seated on the other side. The bar is sloppy on the bad side. I removed the seal O-ring and it is chewed up, hard, done.
So I'm going to replace both. My question is: Is there any tricks, tips, should the O-ring just be seated or does it go on the bar? On Mikes site it says on the part "Note: Fuel T 48-0884 is a pressed together assembly and must be handled/installed with care." Can someone just give me quick tip on this process. I would assume I just put the O-ring in the carb, then push in the bar until it seats. Correct?
Thanks all

The original "T" can be reclaimed and used again.

1. Start by stripping the rubber coating off of it.
2. Then, cut two sections of 1/4 Neoprene gas line and insert them into the cab inlets.
3. Start to press the "T" into the Neoprene inserts in each carb
4. Use a clamp to squeeze the carbs together.
5. Check the length of the Neoprene sections to ensure they are not collapsing in the carb inlets.

carb clamp.jpg

fuelT.jpg

Thanks Pete. I have the brass "T" right now. It's in perfect condition. No nicks, damage, ect. Any tips on how to ensure a tight fit using the brass T? I don't like how loose they are. Even the good side is a little bit loose. I will ad though that I cannot switch the T. In other words one side fits the left carb, but not the right one. ??

Whatever "T" you use, you need to gently clamp the carbs together so the "T" fits tight. Clamp just enough so you can't rotate the "T" while the mounting screws on the bottom angle bracket are loose. With the clamp still in place, tighten the bottom mount screws to hold the carbs together in that position.

So do you still need the o rings with this fix or does the tubing act as the seal in this case?

No. you do not need the "O" rings. The main thing is to keep an eye on the Neoprene hose sections to be sure they are not being pushed in and blocking the inlet. Just use the clamp slowly and let the Neoprene adjust to the "T" insertion.

Thanks Pete. I have the brass "T" right now. It's in perfect condition. No nicks, damage, ect. Any tips on how to ensure a tight fit using the brass T? I don't like how loose they are. Even the good side is a little bit loose. I will ad though that I cannot switch the T. In other words one side fits the left carb, but not the right one. ??

If you still have the original rubber coated "T", I would use that with the above method.

I got some 1/4 ID 3/8 OD and tried it. The brass just smooshed the hose when I clamped it. Plan B worked great. Put the old O-rings back in and good 'ole Teflon tape.

Back