Fuse box question, 1982 XS650

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever found a source for the clips that hold the fuses in the fuse box. It would be so easy to replace them with new ones with the crimping tools I have but so far I'm not seeing them anywhere.

I know Mikes sells a new plug in fuse box that appears to look almost a match to the original. But to have to pay $30 plus shipping when a little bag of 8 wire ends would do just the same seems steep to me.

For right now I will probably jerry rig it with a hand full of slip on connectors mounting some ATO fuses. Bike is getting close to where I might be able to try starting it and just need something that will work to prove out the engine actually will run. I'll worry about making things neat and pretty once that hurdle is past.

Hi Ken,
I swapped my glass tube fuse box for a 3-way + a single blade fuse box from list member Scallywag.
(nice slim-fit gear. I shoulda waited. The week after I got my 3 + 1 installed he came out with a 4-way.)
I don't remember how much Scallywag billed me but it was way less than $30 + shipping.
You are welcome to my glass tube fuse box for postage but it's almost as old as yours.

Search "Radio Shack" and look for posts regarding how to use its fuse box - an inexpensive fix. I transplanted the fuse clips from it into my OEM box - took a bit of soldering, but easily done.
RadioShack fuse box fix.jpg

Well I got lucky as there is still, at least for the moment, still a RadioShack just 10 miles from here and they had some of those fuse holders in stock for $2.60. I bought enough to do three bikes.

Sniped off the old clips and took the clips out of the new holders and soldered them on the wires. I chose to insert the end of the wire through the hole in the new clips and soldered them on "flag fashion" so the wires would route nice and straight.

The new clips fit a bit loose in the Yamaha fuse block until the fuses are snapped in and then they are nice and tight!

Did notice that the "main" and "ignition" fuses a reversed in mine compared to the picture Aldo 5468 posted above. Some one must have decided to change that at Yamaha just to confuse people!

Getting closer every day to hearing this engine make noise, hope it is the right kind of noises!

Back