Fuse clip keeps slipping

rainycity

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It`s happened about 3 times now where I will be out for a ride and the brass fuse clip and or the fuse vibrates out and the bike dies. I keep saying I`m going to add a drop of super glue to keep it in place then I forget when I get home.
Even though I just put it in last winter and of course 2 weeks after I wire the new one in I see someone has the newer (horseshoe) type so I think I`ll pick one of them up and do it again.

It's just a matter of time before they snap off. Your bike is telling you something. Time to listen.

The repair needn't be expensive. This cost me $5 and about and hour of soldering:

Photo124_zpshffgfowr.jpg

All I did was trim all of the plastic tabs off of the current fusebox so you have a nice flat surface, keep all of the wires in their original position, shorten the metal tabs on the fuseholder with sidecutters to get them to fit within the current box, then attach them in their original orientation with the proper sized fuse. You attach the fuseholder to the original plastic box bottom with a few short screws. Trim off what sticks out the other side. By flattening out the tabs on the fuseholder, you can reinstall the cover and rubber strap and it looks completely stock.

There are more expensive ways to do it, and some prefer blade style fuses, but this will work well for not much money, and it grips the fuses very snugly indeed.

Back