Galvanizing

tadd442

dude.....
Reaction score
Is there a way to remove it?
My neighbor was cool enough to give me a bunch of 1/4" thick, 2 inch wide, 4 foot long pieces of steel for misc, projects. The stuff is galvanized and is a bitch to weld.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO REMOVE THIS SHIT?:banghead:

Hydrocloric acid will remove it. Some other acids as well. Do not breath the fumes!!!!! It makes a gas that will fry your lungs.
You should not breath the fumes if you burn or weld it either, obviously you've seen what happens when you weld it. Unless you want to zinc coat your lungs.

I have no idea where to get it. You can also use muriatic acid. Get that at swimming pool supply stores. Honestly it would be cheaper, and safer, to just buy regular stock.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Inhaling large amounts of zinc (as zinc dust or fumes from smelting or welding) can cause a specific short-term disease called metal fume fever. However, very little is known about the long-term effects of breathing zinc dust or fumes.
Grinding or sanding off the galvanizing at the weld areas has worked fine for me many times.
[/FONT]

Tad442

Would it not be cheaper & safer to buy a few lengths of black steel (if thats what you need) price it before you spend $$ on acid & gloves etc..& the time spent to clean it off

what is a safe way to dispose of Hydrochloric / Muriatric acid?

Hotdog, perhaps it would be cheaper, but I have quite a bit of this stuff, (about 18-20 48" + length pieces)

and for the record, I support the Judean Peoples Front...LOL!

http://periodictable.com/ZincSafety.html

So what's the worst that can happen from exposure to zinc, and can it cause hidden long term effects?

When zinc is raised to a high temperature (at or above its boiling point around 900C), it burns and forms zinc oxide smoke. Like any kind of smoke, zinc oxide will irritate the lungs, leading to difficulty breathing: This is not a dangerous situation and it clears up immediately when you move away from the source of the fumes. People exposed to high concentrations of zinc oxide over a prolonged period of time can also develop a condition known as the "zinc chills", "metal fume fever", "brass-founders ague", or a number of other colorful terms. This involves fever, tremors, and other unpleasant symptoms.

However, metal fume fever, which is rarely seen these days, is a purely temporary condition that clears up without any known long term effects or complications. It's certainly nothing to laugh about, but the maximum downside to zinc exposure is fever and shakes that go away and then you get better. It's not like lead or sun tanning that can have life-threatening consequences down the road, or like carbon monoxide that can kill you on the spot.

And you can't even get zinc chills from melting and casting pure zinc.

Welding galvanized steel generates zinc fumes because welding happens at very, very high temperatures: The zinc plating for an inch or so in every direction from the weld is burned off in billowing white clouds of zinc oxide. Anyone who has learned to weld will have been warned many times to wear a special mask when welding galvanized steel, and that's a good idea. I use one always when welding galvanized plate.

As I said, I would buy other stuff, but if you have a bunch maybe try what gggGary said and grind the area.

I thought it was Peoples Front of Judea.

I have read vinegar works, but slowly Maybe I'll set up a piece of gutter on some saw-horses and soak it outside for a bit.

The Judean Peoples Front was the opposition of the Peoples Front of Judea.

You could try the muriatic acid from a pool supply. Baking soda and water neutralizes it for clean up.

And I want to be known as Loretta.

Welding galvanized steel is not worth the time,trouble and hazards of removing the coating. Go buy some steel pipe.

Grind off the areas where you want to weld and it will work fine, also be aware of the fumes. I have had to weld it before on many jobs, like i said just grind or sand away about and inch or two from where you intend to weld and you will be fine.

Grinder, the easiest and less messy than acid. if it is light gal then turning up the heat will burn it off. Get a fan to blow the fumes away. I am talking about using a stick.

I have made some nice projects mig welding 1/2 and 3/4 EMT conduit. Just grind off the galv. around the areas to be welded. No NO NO, not MOTORCYCLE projects:laugh::laugh::laugh:

But garden carts, wheel truing stands things like that. Use a conduit bender and you can get some cool shapes made up for cheap.

Back