Gary Poh Offset & Wide Hard Tail.

AussieHard

AussieHardTail
Reaction score
I am looking into doing my wide tyre conversion legally and getting engineering certification. Well that is if Elswick Cycles ever get back to me so I can order my wide hardtail.
Sent them 3 emails saying i was happy with postage and can I place an oder with these specs and no response.

Anyway I digress, Here is a bit of local legislation:

Some modifications will require two checklists – one for the design and another for the modification itself.

This approach allows for the design of a modification to be carried out by someone other than the person/organisation who performs the modification.

For example an engineer may design a left hand drive conversion under code LS1 and have it approved by the Registration Authority. This design may then be subsequently used by a number of modifiers.
Version 2.0 – 1 January 2011 Page 9/21
IntroductionIn these circumstances, the checklist for the modification will demand the inclusion of the design
approval reference number. In the left hand drive conversion example given above, the modifier will be required to include the approval reference number issued under the design code LS1 in the modification checklist LS2.

I was wondering if anyone has fitted an Wide Hard Tail weld on to a Yam XS650 or fitted a Gary Poh offset kit, and had it engineered? I would be interested in referencing that document.

We do not have to have engineers document anything here in the US, so those documents woundn't exist.

hmm.. okay.. What does it mean to have in engineered? What kind of hoops do they make you jump through to get them registered? Just some document showing the that hardtail is safe and sound?

hmm.. okay.. What does it mean to have in engineered? What kind of hoops do they make you jump through to get them registered? Just some document showing the that hardtail is safe and sound?

Have a look at the NCOP VSB14.
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

Nope, big hops, lots of hoops! Fn circus! The frame has to be inspected and all welds X-rayed! Must meet all design rules, must be this, mustn't be that, needs this, can't have that. They are tighter than a fish's A.. as to what can be let on the road.............However big production car companies usually get exemptions for half the stuff. $$$$Talk.

Abbreviated summary of one of the applicable doc's, SERIOUSLY ABBREVIATED! This is cut more than most choppers!

1. Generally Safe
2. Tyres:
i. Suitable for Hwy, load & Speed rated
3. Lighting:
i. Two are fitted they must be equally spaced from centre, Same kind and same height.
ii. One is fitted it must be centred
iii. Must have, Head light between 500mm and 1.4m High
iv. Must have high & low beam and dipping device
1. High beam range not less than 50m
2. Dipped range not less than 25m
v. Brake lights: At least one. Between 350mm & 1.5m
1. Operate when either brake is applied
vi. Rear Red Lamp: Must have one, when light (red light emitted) visable to 200m and not more than 7watts
vii. Number plate light, white, illuminates plate clearly at 20m
1. Must not shine directly to rear.
viii. Brake, Tail and number plate lights may be incorporated in one housing.
ix. Indicators: Two front lamps may be amber or white, rear must be amber.
1. Pairs no less than 300mm apart & between 350mm & 1.5m high.
2. Must have audible or visible telltale.
x. Must have at least one red reflector fitted to rear
xi. Horn, must have one
xii. Rear vision mirrors, Must have two of the same kind
xiii. Brakes: Two independent brakes systems operated by hand or foot controls
1. Post 1976 must meet ADR 33
2. Hydrraulic brake hose must comp ADR 7
xiv. Mudguards: Must effectively prevent objects being thrown upward and to the rear. All wheels
xv. Chain Guard: must have effective provision to prevent any part of a rider, or clothing being caught in the chin or sprocket. Protection may be made by frame or guard.
1. Should exten from the front sprocket to a point not less than 300mm o the rear of the rearmost foot rest or to a point vertically above the centre of the rear sprocket.
xvi. Noise: Exhaust must have mufflers securely fitted so the all exhaust gasses pass through. Must meet emissions.
xvii. Misc:
1. Must have engine stop switch
2. Fitted with foot rests for rider
xviii. Handlebars:
1. 500mm-900mm wide
2. Mounted symmetrically
3. Handgrips not more than 380mm above mount point

xix. Horizontal distance between mid-point of steering bearing to front axle must not exceed 550mm
xx. Should be fitted with a stand, fold up.

Aaahhh yes the red tape, that is the bullshit, that is getting frame mods legally cetified in Australia.

A good part of the reason I decided to do a street tracker - instead of the bobber route.

Good luck brother......

WELL RAT BIKES WILL NEVER WORK OUT over there
I have seen bikes from your country over here in shows and they claim that the ride them over there and don't meet anything on your list. THEY LIED or they just ride them and don't care about the bullshit. Do the bikes over there get inspected yearly or only one time. Whats the fine for not complying .Never heard this very interesting.

We have similar rules if you try to import a non USA spec car. Some ofthe rules make sense due to differences in RHD cars. But I think some of it is to throw huge roadblocks in the way of gray market imports.

WELL RAT BIKES WILL NEVER WORK OUT over there
I have seen bikes from your country over here in shows and they claim that the ride them over there and don't meet anything on your list. THEY LIED or they just ride them and don't care about the bullshit. Do the bikes over there get inspected yearly or only one time. Whats the fine for not complying .Never heard this very interesting.

In my state only when you register it to each new owner. So some people reg stock then chop. But the cops pull you over your done & they pick on choppers!

Damn.. good luck with that! So you need an engineering document to say the hardtail design is safe, then have the welds pass the x-ray tests, then have the bike meet those requirements in the list?

If so, it sounds like a pain in the ass but I guess is doable. I wonder how much the engineering document and x-rays tests will cost you...

Well most of the bike on here would fail.:doh:

No doubt about that! I'm sure my welds would x-ray just fine, but other than that I just build how I see fit!

I do have a specially sized Poh offset sprocket for my 240 tire though.

DSCF1701.jpg

Sounds like you need to move to a chop friendly area. My tails are stock width, 4" stretch, 2" lower. I e-mailed him a few days ago and haven't heard back either. I don't think it's his main job or he has other projects going on. They are supposed to be done this week.

$2500 for engineering, holy shit! Im in the process of building a hardtail bobber in qld. The frame builder never mentioned any costs like that. He said that I wouldn't have any trouble geting a rwc on this bike. Might have to look into it a bit more. Could have bought a harley or like with what I've spent already.

$2500 for engineering, holy shit! Im in the process of building a hardtail bobber in qld. The frame builder never mentioned any costs like that. He said that I wouldn't have any trouble geting a rwc on this bike. Might have to look into it a bit more. Could have bought a harley or like with what I've spent already.

Other people have been quoted more!

I was looking for a cheap project, but non if it is cheap here in Oz. Who is your frame builder and are they going to get the RWC for you?

VIV makes the whole process expensive and a pain-in-the-A%%............Guess if your going to ride a rigid you gotta have a tough one anyway!

Back