Gary Poh Offset & Wide Hard Tail.

Sounds like you need to move to a chop friendly area. My tails are stock width, 4" stretch, 2" lower. I e-mailed him a few days ago and haven't heard back either. I don't think it's his main job or he has other projects going on. They are supposed to be done this week.

What size front & rear wheel are you going to run? Standard is 5" ground clearance, will the 2" drop get you 3", do you think that is enough?

haha, yeah this was meant to be a cheap project for me too. already put to much into the motor to pull out ontop now and still havnt finished it. I was looking at getting Pommy choppers on the sunnycoast to do the frame. i did ask him about getting it registered. "If you apply to QLD Transport they'll issue you permission to modify, my engineer tells me that's all you need, and you won't need to get it complianced." thats what he said in an email. perhaps i should be more specific about all costs. he only qouted me $1100 for a fitted hardtail and $2200 for a whole frame. then again i might be lucky up here in qld:shrug:
not sure on the exact rules.

Have a look at the NCOP VSB14.
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

Nope, big hops, lots of hoops! Fn circus! The frame has to be inspected and all welds X-rayed! Must meet all design rules, must be this, mustn't be that, needs this, can't have that. They are tighter than a fish's A.. as to what can be let on the road………….However big production car companies usually get exemptions for half the stuff. $$$$Talk.

Abbreviated summary of one of the applicable doc's, SERIOUSLY ABBREVIATED! This is cut more than most choppers!

1. Generally Safe
2. Tyres:
i. Suitable for Hwy, load & Speed rated
3. Lighting:
i. Two are fitted they must be equally spaced from centre, Same kind and same height.
ii. One is fitted it must be centred
iii. Must have, Head light between 500mm and 1.4m High
iv. Must have high & low beam and dipping device
1. High beam range not less than 50m
2. Dipped range not less than 25m
v. Brake lights: At least one. Between 350mm & 1.5m
1. Operate when either brake is applied
vi. Rear Red Lamp: Must have one, when light (red light emitted) visable to 200m and not more than 7watts
vii. Number plate light, white, illuminates plate clearly at 20m
1. Must not shine directly to rear.
viii. Brake, Tail and number plate lights may be incorporated in one housing.
ix. Indicators: Two front lamps may be amber or white, rear must be amber.
1. Pairs no less than 300mm apart & between 350mm & 1.5m high.
2. Must have audible or visible telltale.
x. Must have at least one red reflector fitted to rear
xi. Horn, must have one
xii. Rear vision mirrors, Must have two of the same kind
xiii. Brakes: Two independent brakes systems operated by hand or foot controls
1. Post 1976 must meet ADR 33
2. Hydrraulic brake hose must comp ADR 7
xiv. Mudguards: Must effectively prevent objects being thrown upward and to the rear. All wheels
xv. Chain Guard: must have effective provision to prevent any part of a rider, or clothing being caught in the chin or sprocket. Protection may be made by frame or guard.
1. Should exten from the front sprocket to a point not less than 300mm o the rear of the rearmost foot rest or to a point vertically above the centre of the rear sprocket.
xvi. Noise: Exhaust must have mufflers securely fitted so the all exhaust gasses pass through. Must meet emissions.
xvii. Misc:
1. Must have engine stop switch
2. Fitted with foot rests for rider
xviii. Handlebars:
1. 500mm-900mm wide
2. Mounted symmetrically
3. Handgrips not more than 380mm above mount point

xix. Horizontal distance between mid-point of steering bearing to front axle must not exceed 550mm
xx. Should be fitted with a stand, fold up.

These are pretty much the same regs as are in place here in the US. Fact is: most choppers and modified bikes are illegal in most US states, it's just that most cops aren't trained to the extent that they would know about these things. Here, it almost never comes into play unless you're trying to build a 100% new vehicle.

These regs are why you don't see Harley-Davidson or Honda selling bikes with 2' tall ape hangers and spool wheels. Or headlights made from fog lamps.

Last edited:
haha, yeah this was meant to be a cheap project for me too. already put to much into the motor to pull out ontop now and still havnt finished it. I was looking at getting Pommy choppers on the sunnycoast to do the frame. i did ask him about getting it registered. "If you apply to QLD Transport they'll issue you permission to modify, my engineer tells me that's all you need, and you won't need to get it complianced." thats what he said in an email. perhaps i should be more specific about all costs. he only qouted me $1100 for a fitted hardtail and $2200 for a whole frame. then again i might be lucky up here in qld:shrug:
not sure on the exact rules.

Been trying to call Shaun actually he said he had a work around up there, not sure if us mexicans down south get the loop hole.
Pommy seems to have a lot of them on the road. Got any specs on your build? Photos?

Yeah he has done bikes that r being riden so I trust he knows what he's talking about. Ill post a few pics of what im looking at building tomorrow when im not on my phone.

Apparently Pommychopper is an approved engineer in Victoria. Have a look on the Vicroads website, they have a list of approved engineers.There is also another guy in Sunshine in Melbourne, Rattray Engineering, who has a website stating he does frame mods. Only man in Victoria advertising to do frame mods.

Apparently Pommychopper is an approved engineer in Victoria. Have a look on the Vicroads website, they have a list of approved engineers.There is also another guy in Sunshine in Melbourne, Rattray Engineering, who has a website stating he does frame mods. Only man in Victoria advertising to do frame mods.

Sent them an email with some data on the project will see what they come back with. Thanks.

My "Gary Poh" offset kit arrived yesterday and looks great! Anyone else running one of these?

Have ordered and paid for my Elswick wide hardtail, haven't heard from them still as to when or anything.

Getting some prices on ULTIMA wheels as i can't seem to find a 18x5.5 used.

Also Rattray never replied.

Unfortunate that Rattray Engineering didn't reply. I was hoping you would be able to tell me what they were like to deal with for when I start my project.

Back