Gas Tank Mount Rubber

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up:
The rear rubber mount for the gas tank is there for a reason.
Mine was missing and the vibration from a short ride was enough to crack it.
"Common sense ain't so common."
Here are a couple pics after a quick weld:

Attachments

• P1010798.JPG
    P1010798.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 291
  • P1010799.JPG
    P1010799.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 303
Okay okay, I guess it wasn't worthy of a post.
I'm still learning though...
And I'll take any chance I can get, just to talk about my XS! ;)

Okay okay, I guess it wasn't worthy of a post.
I'm still learning though...
And I'll take any chance I can get, just to talk about my XS! ;)
Sorry, didnt mean to flame. I tend to do that to...random posting of pics of my bike in someone elses thread. I apologize.

Ok, I've held my tongue long enough. Angus, I would so kill that goat out of pure fear.:yikes: That thing is just evil.:devil:

Yea, ya can't teach common sense. Having said that, that is how it's learned, by trial & error. At least you were able to save the tank. Now, imagine those poor bastards that mount those peanut tanks up really tight!!!:yikes::wtf:

my sporty tank is mounted high, but Ive made rbber mounts in same design as those rubber mounts with the metal tube found all over the xs. But then again, I have'nt fired mine yet, so, who knows?

I have seen some of them mounted up with just a through bolt. Vibrated the tabs right off. I don't know about you, but a fuel tank laying on top of my balls doesn't excite me.Especially at 65 MPH!:yikes:

Don
I just had this happen to mine. I have the rubber mount on. I guess I tightened it up a bit too much. How did you weld it? Did you drain the tank or what? Weld it on the frame?
Thanks to any advice you can give.
Georelle

Just a side note: if you're getting enough vibration that you're vibrating things off your bike, you may want to check all your motor mounts for tightness/non-brokeness, and balance your carbs. You'd be flabbergasted how much smoother it will be.

Yes, voice of experience with two broken motor mount bolts (front and bottom) speaking. Vibrated so much at 5k i couldn't hold onto the handlebars.

Georelle... sorry to hear that.
Guess this was worthy of a post after all.
Yes, I drained the tank. No, I didn't weld it on the frame.
Here's a better pic from the bottom:

Attachments

• P1010891.jpg
    P1010891.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 225
Georelle... sorry to hear that.
Guess this was worthy of a post after all.
Yes, I drained the tank. No, I didn't weld it on the frame.
Here's a better pic from the bottom:
drain tank fill with water blow out with air compresser at least a 1/2 hour, fumes in a empty tank is the same as a small bomb:yikes:

Don. Thanks for the pic. Yes it is worthy of a post. Funny I had not heard a thing about it until mine cracked. The same day I got on here and saw your post. I guess you are not suppose to tighten the tank down too tight.
Ok so you had it off the frame when you welded it. I was wondering if it would line up ok.
Oh well I was thinking about repainting the tank anyway. I got a scratch in it and I have some left over paint.

Georelle

- jayel is right, theyre a bomb...water helps prevent this and soaks up the heat preventing distortion

Back