Gas tank weight?

BadMoto

XS650 Dummy
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just curious, how much does an empty xs650 gas tank weight (no cap/no pump)? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi All,
Just curious, how much does an empty xs650 gas tank weight (no cap/no pump)? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Moto,
what pump would that be? XS650 gas tanks ain't got no steenkin' pumps.
Just happened to have my Standard gas tank off and empty.
Accuracy limited by the methodology of my standing on a bathroom scale with and without holding the tank.
Empty XS650 Standard gas tank with gas cap, both petcocks and it's shiny new cast pewter tank badges weighs just under 10lbs.
My best guess at the weight of the smaller XS650 Special tank would be between 8 & 9 lbs.
If you are planning to ship a tank via USPS DON'T write "gas tank" on the package because they'll go apeshit on you even if the tank
ain't seen gas in three decades. Write "Used motorcycle part" instead. USPS Parcel has a website that'll tell you the shipping cost
when you type in the package weight and dimensions and destination.

Weighed on kitchen scales. Not calibrated.

Special tank, 80-84, single petcock and gas cap with emblem holders filled in. = 9lb 10oz.

Standard tank, 74/75, twin petcocks and gas cap. = 10lb 1oz

Thanks 650Skull, very much inline with fredintoon.:thumbsup:
Hi Moto,
but not quite the same as mine weighed a tad lighter. And you know what that means?
It means that my bathroom scale is reading light.
Which means my plan to live longer through weighing less ain't working as well as I'd thought.
Darn it.
WTF.
Merry Christmas anyway.

Back