Gasket paper

sgallaty

Antihero
Reaction score
anyone here have luck using gasket paper instead of buying precut gaskets?

you trace your old gasket and cut it with an xacto knife (or scissors for the very low tech)

for example :

http://crustyquinns.com/tech/myogasket.html

That said, do we know what the stock gasket thicknesses are on the important gaskets (cyl bottom etc.)

If you are good at arts and crafts it should come out ok, myself on the otherhand, always makes shitty looking gaskets. A proper hole punch is needed to really look pro.

I've been having good luck with home made gaskets. I've replaced the left side cover gasket and both carb bowls with 3/32" thick gasket paper. No leaks from the carb bowls.

To this day I'm unsure why the left side cover needs a gasket but since the manual calls for one I'll put it there. It isn't really much time/effort to do it.

The OEM cylinder base gasket thickness is .020", carb float bowl gaskets are .040". I have my doubts about whether off-the-shelf paper gasket material would hold up at the cylinder base. In a pinch I've cut float bowl gaskets from .040" cardboard, treated them with sealant, hung them up until dry, and coated them lightly with grease to prevent adhesion; it worked fine.

Back