gasket reuse for top end?

ridgerunner1965

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i am installing a new front timing chan guide.in my book its called a stopper guide.

anyway took rocker cover off and everything looks great except the front chain guide had shucked its fiber insert.

my question is can i just install new time chain guide,put rocker box on and retorque?

or do i need to install new base and head gasket? everything was fine and leak free before.

i have not disturbed the head or base gaskets.

I would say, as long as you are confident the gaskets didn't break or get peeled off, you are ok.
Did the head/cylinders come up or separate from each other?

Can you even get the guide out with the head still on? And even if you do, there's no way to know if the new one is installed straight. The guide hangs out the top and bottom of the cylinder block. There is some play in the two mounting holes so the guide can be mounted crooked or off center. The usual routine is to measure from each side of the guide to the cam chain tunnel wall, both where it comes out the top and at the bottom. You can't do this with the cylinders in place .....

8tILt5W.jpg

o0c8evP.jpg

There's a lot of work involved getting into one of these engines, what with having to pull the motor out of the frame. It's best to do all that needs doing while you're in there. That usually means cleaning all the carbon out, replacing valve guide seals, lapping the valves if they leak, replacing rings if out of spec, replacing the cam chain and the front guide. Head and base gaskets are not re-used. The only thing I re-use are the copper sealing washers that are on a few of the parts. They always seem to work OK again.

Last edited:
hmmm ill have to investigate further tomorrow when i get back in the garage.

the guide came out easily with the head still in place.

the bike ran perfectly with good compression,used no oil or smoke and seems to be very clean inside.

the barrel or head did not lift at all when rocker box was pulled.

ill have to look at the ability to make sure the guide is straight.

I think it's conceivable that if you didn't tighten the guide right away but tightened the chain and turned the engine over by hand some, the chain might move the guide into the right place. Maybe not dead centered, and not my first choice of how to do the job, and just a theory, but hey. While you're in there, take care to center the camshaft perfectly and it will reduce top end noise a lot.

Last edited:
Back