Getting close but need the Guru's !!

The Riverbug

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have spark. 1979 xs650sf. Used brand new wire harness for wrong xs650 from mikesxs. (for a :wtf:79xs650f) Put an inline fuse in. When starting with starter, bike will start then blow a fuse. When kick starting, will blow a fuse immediately.(30amp) I don't want to give you the Encyclopedia Britanica version of what has been done to this.Just curious.

I would start by disconnecting everything except the ignition circuit, ie. charging, headlight, anything that comes on when the bike starts. Start the bike and see if it blows the fuse. Still have points system? Perhaps you can give a Reader's Digest version of what you've done to the bike. Maximum fuse amperage should be 20.

I would start by disconnecting everything except the ignition circuit, ie. charging, headlight, anything that comes on when the bike starts. Start the bike and see if it blows the fuse. Still have points system? Perhaps you can give a Reader's Digest version of what you've done to the bike. Maximum fuse amperage should be 20.

Purchased: Main Wiring Harness - Fits: XS650F 1979.
OEM Ref.# 2F0-82590-52-00

when I should have got:Main Wiring Harness - Fits: XS650 2F/SF 1979.
OEM Ref.# 2MO-82590-51-00

My bike is a 2f0-169289

Almost everything mated up well, except the fuse holder was not there. Was told to cut an inline fuse in to make sure I don't cook it.

Put in new coils, plugs, condenser, wires, points.

Bike turns over and will start with the electric starter but blows the fuse and dies.

When kick starting automatically blows fuse.

I will try like you said to unplug everything and go from there.

Back