Getting into flat track racing???

Motorbreath22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try flat track racing for a while, I love the feeling of sliding around a corner. I've never raced before, just trail riding and stuff since I was 8. and street since 17. I was thinking a tt500 might be a good bike from what I've read. It seems to be a popular flat tracker and can be entered into a few different classes. I do have a crf 230 I could use until I get something better...

My question is... Should I find a cheap stock tt500 and put money into turning it into a race bike or should I wait to find one someone else has dropped the cash into already.
What exactly do you have to do to these bikes besides put 19's on the front and rear?

Any tips would be great

I found this for 500 or best offer... no carb, no side cover, aluminum swingarm

00404_gUYrbTD3SFx_600x450.jpg
00b0b_h8ntupA15S3_600x450.jpg

00l0l_ghBuuOPe0kI_600x450.jpg

Visit a flat track event... walk the pits.. ask questions.. get it from the source.

Sounds like you have quite a bit of riding experience. If your not going to go Pro just jump right in. Plenty of outlaw tracks to race at. I tried it back in the 70`s when a 250 Bultaco Pursang was the hot set up. The bike was certainly faster than I was but still a lot of fun. VFT has some good deals on used bikes. Buying is cheaper than building. Good luck in your search.
01Jan15-StaracerTT.jpg

01Jan14-XS650-43.jpg

right on, thanks for the advice. I think I'll just use my CRF230 then keep my eyes open for something else once I learn a thing or two at the track.

Back