getting rid of reserve lighting unit not working

Davidstylemaster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, my reserve unit burned out today with much grey smoke and smell while in traffic. I unplugged it and rode home without a headlight. My bike is Canadian and the headlight switch doesnt do anything, the headlight is always on (legal requirement here). I tried connecting the blue-yellow to the blue-black wire and still no headlight.

The wires in my connector are blue-yellow, blue-black, blue, lime green, and black.

Any ideas what I have to connect?

Tx
David

Your wire descriptions are a bit off. The blue/yellow is yellow/blue, then a green wire, may look lime green, There should be a blue/black wire and a blue/green.
You might want to look a bit closer.
Power flows out of the main switch on the red/yellow to the headlight on/off switch, from the on/off switch on the blue/black wire to the reserve lighting unit.
At the RLU it sends power out on the yellow/blue to the headlight dimmer switch. This turns on the headlight on. With the blue/black wire jumpered to the yellow/blue you are bypassing the RLU. And should be to control the headlights with the headlight on/off switch.
This has worked for many. If it won't get your headlight working then you might want to check if voltage is getting from the main switch to the headlight on/off switch and from there to the RLU and with the blue/black to the yellow/blue power should get to the dimmer switch. Maybe the problem with the RLU damaged something else, like the headlight on/off switch.
Leo

Back